Lost 2 Cascades

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezknight

Reaction score
Ugh, thanks to some heavy storms, I lost 2 Cascade bines (on the same string). We had some high winds, and a portion of my neighbors' patio furniture ended up in my hops garden and crushed the bines near the base. :( It didn't cut it all the way through, but it creased it to the point that they obviously can't get any water/nutrients up the bine. While all of the others are growing around them, all I can do is sit and watch these wither. Farewell good friends, until you grow again next season. :mug:

You'd be suprised on how fast they come back. I had all my hops die out while I was on vacation last year because my neighbors kid didn't water them like he promised he would (after I payed him). I cut them back, and by late august, I had lush, healthy hops.

You'd be suprised on how fast they come back. I had all my hops die out while I was on vacation last year because my neighbors kid didn't water them like he promised he would (after I payed him). I cut them back, and by late august, I had lush, healthy hops.

That's what I'm hoping. Once these bines wither, I'm hoping a few small shoots may come up in that area to replace them. Shame, though, these were 10' already.

i just drank a beer in homage to our parted friends.

That's a pretty good excuse.. I'm always looking for new ones..
I just drank a beer in homage too...
Thanks for the great reason..

I feel a need to pay some more homage coming on...
Keg of Home Brewed Stone IPA clone, here I come!
I need to help some friends! By paying homage of course!
:mug:

Last year my wife adjusted my hops - to the point that they were all creased so I cut them back to within a few inches of the ground. Even with our short summer I had an excellent crop of hops. And that was only year 2 for those plants.

B

Back