Loosely Cover or Tight??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluespook

Reaction score
I've looked at a number of various recipes and notice that some call for a primary fermentation that is "loosely" covered and some call for "tightly" covered with a lock. What conditions determine which one of these you might use? It seems to me that tight would be better--no flys, less oxidation-but maybe the loose allows for more oxygen and is safer with a big initial fermentation. Ideas/comments?

I cover mine with a kitchen towel for the primary fermentation. I tie it around the top of my bucket and this keeps any flies and nats out but lets the must get plenty of oxygen during primary. The massive ferment keeps the wine from oxydizing. I read that this helps to breed those yeasties.

FIRST...compare these instructions against each other to determine if they apply to making wine starting with a juice, as in kits, Apfelwein, etc.

Or, if they apply to making wine starting with whole fruits, the more traditional, Old World way.

One method, using juices, begins primary fermentation in a carboy, under an airlock!

The other method, using whole fruits, begins primary fermentation, depending on the volume involved, in an open topped vat, tub, bucket, etc., under a cheese cloth!

Much confusion can be avoided by making these determinations up front.

Pogo

Latest posts

Back