Looking to Upscale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingRugger

Reaction score
I want to move from 5 gal to 10 gal batches. I am not sure what equipment changes or upgrades I need. I know I need at least a 15 gal pot, but I'm not sure if my 10 gal igloo mash tun can handle 10 gal batches. Any suggestions?

The 10 gallon cooler will be fine for most 10 gallon beers. That's what I was using. Anything over maybe 1.065 will tend to run out of room in there, though, so you'll have to use a pretty thick mash sometimes.

Here's a ten gallon batch of California Common (og around 1.053) in my ten gallon cooler at normal mash density, about 1.3 quarts per pound of grain.

coolermlt.jpg

That sounds good!!! But from time to time, I make some high gravity beers, and I would like to be able to do them in 10 gal batches too. Does anyone know if and where I can find a 15 gal igloo beverage cooler?

If you are open to batch sparging (and no-sparge for smaller beers!) then you can get the a 70 qt Coleman Xtreme rectangular cooler cheaper. Currently $60, it often drops to $42, and it's very popular for homebrewing.
I've been using it for 10Gal batches for over a year. With 70qt of space you can easily make a very high gravity single batch, and then infuse it again and collect wort for a normal strength beer -- parti-gyle batch sparging :)

I'm not sure if they even make 15gal cylindrical coolers?

handy chart of maximum grain weight, gravity, etc by mash tun size: https://www.brewunited.com/view_page.php?pageid=1
Note that at 65qt and 80%, you can get 10 gallons of 1.105, and even at only 70% you get 1.091

That sounds good!!! But from time to time, I make some high gravity beers, and I would like to be able to do them in 10 gal batches too. Does anyone know if and where I can find a 15 gal igloo beverage cooler?

I've not seen a 15 gallon cylindrical cooler, though there are some in larger ones in other form factors. I'm in the process of switching from the 10 gallon cooler to a 15 gallon kettle. That will manage any 10 gallon batch I'd consider brewing.

Latest posts

Back