Looking to try new styles, recommendations please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pricelessbrewing

Brewer's Friend Software Manager
Reaction score
First I have several locations where I can get a wide variety of craft beer, but please don't say to try this belgian bottle 12% 550ml beer from the other side of the world...
I prefer browns, porters, and stouts, and I usually stick to those.

Amber/red: Had a few occasionally, can usually drink it but reminds me of a brown but not as good.

Black ales, good, usually tastes similar to a stout so I like it.

IPA and variants: Been awhile, but usually ends in "bitter face." Any mellow hop forward beer that isn't so bitter I could try to see if it's the bitterness I don't like, or the hops I dont like? I've tried dogfish indian brown, and good human. Both were a pleasant change of pace, but not preferred day to day beer.

Pumpkin ales seem gimicky to me, but the swmbo enjoys them so I get on occasion.

Barleys/strongales/scottish strong/wee strong/ whatever else above 11%: I'd rather sip a good whiskey in most cases. ris are good on occassion as long as the fusel alcohol taste isn't too strong.

Belgians, I don't know how this differ. I know they use different yeast, but that's about it. I've tried a belgian brown, and a quad (gulden draak 9000). The brown was pleasant, but I couldn't tell what made it different than a AM/EN brown. The quad was different, a little sweet, slightly alcoholic, slightly acidic.

I doubt I'd like a bitter.
Milk stouts the swmbo likes. I love oatmeal stouts.

winter ales are so varied it's hard to make a general statement either way, but I've had some that I like.

German ales confuse me in general. Looking to try a dunkelweizen, altbier, and hefeweizen.

Only wheat ale I've had was Oberon from bells.

Irish reds haven't tried in awhile, but used to enjoy when a good brown wasn't available. (this was pre-craft beer for me though)

Start off economically. New Belgium and Goose Island have some good tasting beers. Try some of these. If you find one of their styles pleasing select that style from another brewery.

What makes you think you will dislike bitters? Despite the name they are actually way milder than an IPA, or even most American pales

are you looking to purchase or brew? If brewing - British Dark Mild. tough to find commercial example, but it is a great beer to brew.

Either. I'd like to try an example before attempting to brew, but I do have the ability to do a 1g batch to try. I saw reapers mild has great reviews, so I might give that an attempt after my next two planned batches are done.

Recommend a saison to try please. If I get bored in the next month or two, I might go through the recipes and make a 1g.

Sammy Smiths Oatmeal Stout is always a winner

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

One of my favorites are American Rye ale. It is similar to an American Pale Ale with malt rye. The hops are lower than an IPA and the rye adds a nice spice.

You might like a good Irish red ale. Up in the northeast we get some fresh Sam Adams Irish Red that's really tasty. Not sure about elsewhere though

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Just experiment..find a recipe you will enjoy.Seems to me you want more of low abv session type beers. I on the other hand will be making a sunnyD ale.

Either. I'd like to try an example before attempting to brew, but I do have the ability to do a 1g batch to try. I saw reapers mild has great reviews, so I might give that an attempt after my next two planned batches are done.

Recommend a saison to try please. If I get bored in the next month or two, I might go through the recipes and make a 1g.

I have not brewed Reapers Mild.... but, I do know it is a popular recipe. Definitely worth a test batch for sure. Brew it "as is" and then play around with the recipe if you are looking for something more. I brew about 10 batches of Mild a year probably.... maybe more. Some things I have liked in the batches I have brewed (6 gallon batches).

*Yeast - I have used WL002, 1318 and 1469 - each has turned out well, and brought something different to the table. 002 is probably the cleanest. 1469 brings the most esters and "british flavors".

* I like to use a base mix of about 66-75% Maris Otter and 25-33% Bries Ashburne Mild Malt

* Specialty grains that I think bring a lot to a mild - Pale Chocolate (4-6 ounces), English Brown Malt (6-10 ounces), British Crystal 120 (4 ounces), Flaked Barley (4-6 ounces), a touch of regular british chocolate ( 2-3 ounces). These are amts. I would use in 6 gallons. I would use all of these in a blend in a single batch.

*Water - I use the "mild ale" profile in Brun' Water, give or take a bit.

I shoot for a gravity of right around 1.040

If you like browns, porters, etc...... it is hard not to love a dark mild as a great drinking beer.

Latest posts

Back