Looking to purchase bottles similar to 750ml Goose Island bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtwhite

Reaction score
These bottles are awesomely thick and seem to take a standard size crown cap. Is there any place that sells a similar bottle? I'm talking about the large GI bottles such as the ones that have Sofie, Matilda, their sour beers, etc in them.

Does your local beer distributor (sorry I'm from PA) or other wine/liquor shops sell cases of those beers? That's the best place to get them. You get a lot of good beer to drink and 'free' bottles.

Does it have to be a standard bottle cap? If not then most champagne bottles I think will take a 29 mm cap. My wing capper has removable jaws, one side is for normal caps the other for 29mm caps.

I think you have to buy a pallet from these guys, but are you referring to these:
http://buyourbottles.com/amber-glass-bottles/glass-750ml-celebration

I pick up a bunch of these in green on occasion from the tasting room at a local winery. You can also buy them new in green from most homebrew stores. I have a contact that I believe sells them also in clear, but I don't know about amber. I've seen three different thicknesses of champagne bottles that take a 26mm cap. There's the flat bottomed ones that come in a fairly light weight, and one that is slightly heavier weight. Then there's a punted one that is pretty thick. A case of filled punted bottles probably weighs 40-50 lbs, it's kind of ridiculous. I don't think you'd need those unless you're bottle conditioning something in the 4-5 vol range.

If you're looking more for the longneck 22oz bottles, I've seen those at a couple homebrew stores, usually easier to find than the amber champagne bottles.

Those are nice looking bottles and I have used the ones from brews I drank to bottle some of my Belgian brews. The down side of those is thw punt in the bottom of the bottle goes close enough to the edge that my bottling wand can fully compress the end so they fill sooooooooooo slowly unless you can hit the very top of the punt. A little bit of a PITA.

I found these. They are very heavy and take a regular size cap.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/750-ml-belgian-style-beer-bottles-crown-finish.html

This is another option.

Jolly pumpkin bottles take a regular cap and are thick and 750 mL. We throw lots in the recycling every day at work. You just have to get them before the homeless guys pick through the recycling.

Back