Mushroom corks for wine bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcoates

Reaction score
Hi everyone.... I have been bottling cider recycled beer bottles with crown caps. Would really like to move to recycles wine bottles with Champaign style mushroom corks and wire cages to give to my friends... I just like the old world aesthetic. I don't know much about corks and I cant seem to find the mushroom shaped corks for a 3/4-inch #9 wine bottle. Don't laugh... but does the top part of the cork (above the bottle rim) expand over time to create the mushroom shape? ... or am I just not looking in the right place for the corks I want.

I want it to look like this 750ml bottle ...

FarmhouseDry.png

The mushroom shape comes from the cork being pushed out against the cage. I cork all my sours in champagne and re-used large-format bottles. I use the belgian corks and a lever corker. Works like a charm; even does the threaded cheap champagne screw-off bottles. I started caging the first batches, but after seeing not a single cork move, I stopped using the cages. After hundreds of bottles, I've not had one slip out.

I'd think the people that make wine in the sub-forums futher down the main page might know better than this sub-forum that is mostly beer brewers.

Not that we don't want to welcome you to the site, but you should post where you'll get the most people knowledgeable about your question. Many of the wine people are only wine makers and they don't stray into this sub-forum. Or so I think since I've only once or twice strayed into their sub-forum and I saw a lot of members that never show up here.

I don't know any beer brewers that cork their beer bottles. I do know some that also make wine. But they are more scarce.

Sorry - I missed the part about you wanting to use wine bottles. Just to reiterate - the mushroom shape will come from the cork pressing against the cage as a result of the internal CO2 pressure pushing the cork out. If your cider isn't carbonated, there's zero chance of this happening. And carbonated liquids shouldn't go into wine bottles, since they're not made for pressure. But I'm assuming that your cider isn't carbonated. And because wine bottles aren't meant for carbonation, using a cage with them is pointless (provided the contents aren't under pressure).

I don't know any beer brewers that cork their beer bottles.
There are more around here on HBT than you think...

There are more around here on HBT than you think...
I know there are more than I think. However on HBT if you scroll down you will see there is a specific sub-forum for Winemaking and a specific sub-forum for Cider.

I'm just suggesting that if the OP wants to get the question read by a higher percentage of people that actually know then this sub-forum that is specifically for beer might be a poor choice.

There are many many members here that I'm certain only ever go to a few particular sub-forums to browse, read and reply to threads. It'd be an all day thing to keep up with every sub-forum here.

I'm just suggesting that if the OP wants to get the question read by a higher percentage of people that actually know then this sub-forum that is specifically for beer might be a poor choice.
Right - good point, especially considering OP wants to bottle in wine bottles, which I didn't immediately pick up on. I also don't know if people tend to carbonate their cider, either. If so, then I think OP might get more feedback in this beer section. Brew on!

Back