Looking to purchase a mini fridge to use as a fermentation chamber with an inkbird

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TsunamiMike

Reaction score
Is anyone using a mini fridge? I see some 3.2 and 4.5 sizes out there, just not sure which one will fit a 6.5 gallon bucket or carboy?

Pics would be great and sizes/models

Just got a 4.5 size off of craig's list. The 7 gallon Fermonster will fit, I just need to cut the inside of the door as there is a part sticking out down the center to hold shelves I'm obviously not going to use. Thinking quick dremel and duct tape and I'm done. I don't think an airlock will fit sticking up so simple blowoff tube to a container inside will be that part of the solution.

Just got a 4.5 size off of craig's list. The 7 gallon Fermonster will fit, I just need to cut the inside of the door as there is a part sticking out down the center to hold shelves I'm obviously not going to use. Thinking quick dremel and duct tape and I'm done. I don't think an airlock will fit sticking up so simple blowoff tube to a container inside will be that part of the solution.
ABsolutely was thinking blow off tube, do you know the brand and model you got?

Here's mine, and here's the link to the fridge at Lowe's. That's a 6-gallon carboy in there. My 7-gallon Fermonster fits, airlock and all, no problem. There's even plenty of room for a blowoff jar. I couldn't be more pleased.
So would the carboy have fit in there without the collar? Meaning could you have shut the door?

ABsolutely was thinking blow off tube, do you know the brand and model you got?

Magic Chef HMBR440BE - Only got that one because it was the one on Craig's List. The one I bid on first was sold. If you don't mind the possibility of a couple of scratches shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks tops to find on Craig's List and save $100+ .

Old Sanyo 4.4 cubic foot unit. I have a number of these fermentation chambers set up in the garage each with separate digital temp controls. Very handy here in SoCal where cooling to a lager fermenting temperature 48-50F is more needed than warming the carboy. Also convenient for lagering at 34F in kegs. Craigslist, usually under $100 each.

Attachments

• IMG_1354.JPG
    IMG_1354.JPG
    657.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0433.JPG
    IMG_0433.JPG
    638.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Wine mini fridges are fine, I've been using one for years. It'll cold crash into the high 30's no problem. Just make sure it has a compressor and not a peltier cooling device. If it has a big "hump" or shelf inside the fridge, that's the compressor compartment.

If it has electronic controls, all you have to do is disconnect the compressor wires going to the control board, and wire them to your own controller (which may be as simple as splicing in an appropriate 120V 3 prong extension cord with the female end cut off). You can leave the old control board in place, which may have switches for lights, a temp readout, etc. Your fridge will have now have two power cords, the compressor one goes to your controller, the other one can be plugged into the wall.

I picked up a dorm fridge from Craig's list for $20 , ripped out the door shelves,
added a 2x3 collar to the door and it fits both my Anvil fermenter and my 6.5 gallon carboy.
20191019_095539.jpg

Here's the wine fridge I use. I found it on Craigslist for $75. I use clear fermenters, so I like the clear door. Without even opening the door I can check to see if fermentation has kicked off, or see if the krausen has fallen. I mounted a window shade below it that can be pulled up to block light.
IMG_20181121_103102_329.jpg IMG_20181121_103253_981.jpg

The Magic Chef 4.4 cu ft dorm refrigerator has a compressor hump in the back and a fin-like support molded into the interior surface of the door. The door also has a lip that extends into the refrigerator area and further reduces the usable space. Both of which limit the space usable with a fermentation vessel taller than ~20 in. (distance from top of compressor hump to the upper interior surface). However, a spacer of about 1 in thickness on the interior floor of the cool area raises the base of a 5 or 6.5 gal carboy high enough to clear the lip without creating interference issues at the top end. But, even with the spacer, the door fin hits a 6.5 gal carboy unless it is rocked backwards away from the door; i.e., by placing the spacer on the side of the carboy closest to the door and allowing the back of the carboy to rest against the compressor hump.

Note that the door fin is not located at the vertical center line of the door - it is further to the right side when you face the refrigerator with the door closed. So, placing a 6.5 gal carboy to the left reduces the amount of backward tilt needed to clear the door.

At some point, I'll cut the fin from the door and patch the hole with thin plastic that can be glued onto the surface (or with duct tape). This will eliminate the need to tilt a 6.5 gal carboy and may also permit the use of a alternate fermentation vessels. For now, the shim-and-tilt approach eliminates the need for the depth-extending collar that others are using and keeps the refrigerator looking good enough that my wife allows it in a corner of the kitchen.

Cheer,
Pat

So I am going to go the freezer route, 5 cubic foot so the carboy/bucket will fit just fine. So this will be plugged into the "cold" port in the inkbird and I am wondering if I need to get some type of heating element to go into the freezer.

Now I am wondering if a pad is the way to go or something that goes around the carboy itself? What do you think the best method is and is it really safe to put these in the freezer?

MAT/PAD:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_srh_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_srh_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A38HM17VEBNXI7
WRAP:
https://www.amazon.com/Weekend-Brew...pad&qid=1596657983&s=home-garden&sr=1-2-fkmr0
https://www.amazon.com/Fermentation...oy+heater&qid=1596724195&s=home-garden&sr=1-9
https://www.amazon.com/Northern-Bre...oy+heater&qid=1596724195&s=home-garden&sr=1-4
I was looking at adding this to go into the carboy so it is directly touching the liquid, does anyone use this or is it overkill? Not sure if I could use this on a bucket <i guess i could cut a hole in a lid for this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...8&psc=1&smid=A2CV7HZEOJA0IR&tag=forumyield-20

Last edited:
Here's the wine fridge I use. I found it on Craigslist for $75. I use clear fermenters, so I like the clear door. Without even opening the door I can check to see if fermentation has kicked off, or see if the krausen has fallen. I mounted a window shade below it that can be pulled up to block light.
View attachment 692500 View attachment 692501
how is the pad working? what brand is it?

I just went through this process (figuring out what kind of cooling device to use). Ended up with a full size refrigerator. Freezer section can make ice for cold crashing, two 5 gallon carboys and air locks fit. Free on craigslist (man, was it nasty inside). Cleaned up nicely. If I had my druthers, I would have found a chest freezer (more insulation), but none have been up lately, and Lowes and HD do not have them in stock here. I have a controller from MPJA that I will use if I can't keep the temp stable ($10).
1597180009519.png

Back