Looking to improve my first beer brewing attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimmkeeper

Reaction score
image.jpeg
Hey folks,
Last November, I followed a 4 step recipe from Mother Earth that most people liked. I just brewed another 5 gallons. I'm a beekeeper so I would like to experiment with adding honey to this recipe. ( I'll try to upload a pic of the recipe) I know it will effect the ABV but can anyone tell me at what point I should add honey and do you think I should change anything else?

Thanks!
Art

It all depends on what you want out of the honey.
1. Just boost up the OG and eventual ABV?- Go ahead and add it to the boil. 1lb will boost the SG by about 8 points for a 5G batch.
2. Boost the ABV and retain a little flavor? Add it to the fermenter 2-3 days into the fermentation.
3. You could also prime with it at bottling time, but unless you know exactly how much sugar, it's a guess.
4. Or.... here's thinking outside the box. Boil it on the stove for 60-90 minutes to carmelize it ala bochet, and add it for a stronger flavor boost. A Bochet Braggot. Hmmm interesting.

It all depends on what you want out of the honey.

2. Boost the ABV and retain a little flavor? Add it to the fermenter 2-3 days into the fermentation.

4. Or.... here's thinking outside the box. Boil it on the stove for 60-90 minutes to carmelize it ala bochet, and add it for a stronger flavor boost. A Bochet Braggot. Hmmm interesting.

Thanks for the return Jim,
Cuz I still don't know what the heck I'm doing, I think they would like the honey flavor and I could call it a "Honey Beer"! # 2 sounds easier and since I made last year's brew today' I can still do that. #4 sounds interesting but more difficult? Humm..let that one marinate in my head!
Thanks,
Art

I will add...

• I have added Honey to beers and it has added almost zero "honey like" flavors. Small amounts of honey ferments out and adds ABV but not much else.
  • I have a friend that brews incredible meads (I don't generally like meads). He can detect the type of honey used in other meads.
  • I think there is a lot of potential for interesting Braggots...where there is a good proportion of honey and malted grain.

I will add...

• I have added Honey to beers and it has added almost zero "honey like" flavors. Small amounts of honey ferments out and adds ABV but not much else.

CascadesBrewer,
Same thing happened to me with our first batch of peach honey mead. Strong alcohol with a dry peach taste but no honey taste. But I didn't add honey to the last few days of fermentation.

Latest posts

Back