Looking to get started, Need a starter kit..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglips31

Reaction score
Merry Christmas all,

Looking to get into the hobby and do it right.. Wife gave me the
OK to purchase a kit for Christmas! :ban::rockin:

Not trying to save any money here.. Got the budget and want
to start off right. Planning on bottling my few couple batches and
then move to kegging when I get another garage fridge.

Any advice or suggestions please... I'm looking at this kit...

Master :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Thanks you..
Lips

Welcome to HBT and the wonderful world of home brewing!

I think you pick the best kit there is to be had. You can't go wrong with Midwest. Now, get that thing ordered and start brewing.

Welcome to HBT and the wonderful world of home brewing!

I think you pick the best kit there is to be had. You can't go wrong with Midwest. Now, get that thing ordered and start brewing.

+1. dont forget to order your first ingredient kit as well. well i would suggest 2 kits. one for now wait a week or 2 and brew a second, start that pipeline now.

Wow guys, thanks for the quick replies and support!!

I guess I will go for the gusto and order it up with a couple
of extra Corne kegs just in case...

Now, any recommendations for a couple of good kits from
midwest as well.. What I really want to make is something
very similar to BJ's Jeremiah Red as my first batch..

Then maybe do a wheat and then follow up with a lager.. :drunk:

I would sugest research, midwest is a great company for kits and supplies... i have not personally delt with them but they have a reputation which shines all over the hobby... I personally never purchased a kit... but then again i brew cider not beer... i rarely brew more then 10-15 gallons of beer and give it away more then i drink it... research and then make a decision... Kits are normally cheeper when your starting out but later they get chafing because of there restrctions... I would sugest a simple Midwest starter kit to your taste and buy ingreedants to beers you think youll like... other then that find your local hombrew store and go look around for a while... i spend at least 2 hours a week in mine... some of the cashiers like to have me around, and some hate it... Learn, Brew, Repeat

Cheers

You have chosen a quality brew supply house and that I think is the key. There are many others and all will be within the same price range with some items being in price play more than others.

My advice is buy what you need and don't buy the same item twice. Get a large enough boil kettle to start with rather than replacing it in two months.

I started out with the basic kit :). Other than buying a few bottling supplies, it had all I needed (minus kegging equipment).

Bottling my first batch tomorrow! :ban::rockin:

Tyson

So assuming I buy the big kit and a few receipe batches,
do I need anything else?

I was looking at kettle pots. I just checked in the kitchen and
we have a SS 4gal pot but maybe I would prefer to do my projects
in the garage... Maybe I should pick up a turkey kettle for garage
cooking?

Also, maybe a heating blanket for the bucket since it gets cold
in the garage at night?

Thanks guys,

Im ordering online so It would be nice to get everything on one
shot...

As we say around here, Go Big or Go Home.

It's probably a good time to get a burner if your in the spending mode. Here is the big but; get one that can handle a "big" pot with lots of BTUs. I bought a Banjo burner so I could fit a 15 gallon pot safely. Some of the turkey fryers are kind of dinky.
kab5_kick_a_banjo_burner.jpg

BTW, if you are going to start with full boils you will need to invest in a wort chiller. :D

p.s. some of us are not "guys"!

Thanks for all the advice!! Men & Women!

Ordered up my masters kit with some other
goodies.. Cant wait to get started!

So assuming I buy the big kit and a few receipe batches,
do I need anything else?

I was looking at kettle pots. I just checked in the kitchen and
we have a SS 4gal pot but maybe I would prefer to do my projects
in the garage... Maybe I should pick up a turkey kettle for garage
cooking?

Also, maybe a heating blanket for the bucket since it gets cold
in the garage at night?

Thanks guys,

Im ordering online so It would be nice to get everything on one
shot...

you can get brew pots at a sports store. just look at getting one at least 30 qt. dont worry about alum stainless they both work. only thing you will want to add to that kit is a wort cooler. a simple coil of copper works a treat or you can goto austin home brew store and pick up the shirron chiller for 69 bucks and add a weldless fitting with a ball valve. but you dont need to do that until later. as others have said get a second corney or a couple more. i suggest chicompany but again depends on where you live as they seem to have one of the better prices. keep your eye on craigslist for other things as well. but seriously only thing you need besides that kit is the pot and bottles.

As we say around here, Go Big or Go Home.

It's probably a good time to get a burner if your in the spending mode. Here is the big but; get one that can handle a "big" pot with lots of BTUs. I bought a Banjo burner so I could fit a 15 gallon pot safely. Some of the turkey fryers are kind of dinky.
kab5_kick_a_banjo_burner.jpg

BTW, if you are going to start with full boils you will need to invest in a wort chiller. :D

p.s. some of us are not "guys"!

Wow..not bad for $80

Back