Looking to convert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the distance between the temp sensor and the end of the element is probably a big part of the overshoot issue. Distance translates into time delay between the actual temperature and when the temp is detected. Neither PIDs nor EZBoils can control overshoot when there are significant time delays. One way to address the problem is to significantly reduce the power which will reduce overshoot, but that will slow down heat up. Not a good solution. The best solution is to have the active tip of the temp sensor be about 1/4" away from the end of the heating element of a RIMS tube, and at the output end. This minimizes time delay between temp changes and their detection, which lets the controller do its job much better.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks, I will have to take a look and see what I can do to shorten the distance between the element and tip of the temp sensor.

Maiden brew day this evening with the all electric conversion. Fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly. Brewing a 15 gallon batch of Amber Ale.

Attachments

• IMG_3301.jpg
    IMG_3301.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3302.jpg
    IMG_3302.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 0
Maiden brew day this evening with the all electric conversion. Fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly. Brewing a 15 gallon batch of Amber Ale.
Good luck. Really want to hear how this goes.

Brew on :mug:

Well, things went pretty smooth other than self-inflicted issues due to too much talking. Very happy with how everything went.

Getting ready to brew another batch on the newly converted system. This will be an American Stout this time. This is batch number three. So far things have gone really well with the other batches.

Also going to add a steam condenser. I have it built but still not ready to use it since I have to figure out a way to use the hop basket that normally hangs on the side of the kettle but, with leaving the lid on, I have nowhere to hang it.

Attachments

• IMG_3627.jpg
    IMG_3627.jpg
    1,017 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3630.jpg
    IMG_3630.jpg
    861.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back