Looking to clone Brooklyn Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truekey

Reaction score
This is one of my all time favorite lighter beers. Super crisp and a little grassy.

Brooklyn website says german 2-row malt, Perle and Hallertauer hops.

From site: "We ferment Brooklyn Pilsner at cool temperatures, and then give it a long, gentle maturation (lagering), which results in a beer of superior complexity and smoothness. We believe that you will find there to be none finer. Unlike mass-marketed so-called pilsners, Brooklyn Pilsner does not contain cheap fillers such as corn or rice, nor does it contain any preservatives or stabilizers."

I am looking to do a three gallon batch first, but a 5 gallon recipe will be fine as I can just scale it down in iBrewmaster and adjust.

I do not have legit lagering equipment but my basement should yield a temp of around 50 degrees right now, which should be sufficient I think. :rockin:

As far as the ingredients go it's pretty straight forward

Brooklyn is one of the sites that tells you the OG of their beers. ANd for a one malt beer it's straight forward, but this is one where the hops are tougher

9 pounds of German 2 Row Pilsner Malt - Now this could be off if your malt has a higher Potential Yield than 1.037 SG.

Hops are trickier to find in the US, they use according to their site "Hallertauer Mittelfrueh, Hallertauer Perle, Saaz, Vanguard"

So you have to then balance them out to try to get the best flavor and be near the 33 IBUs of the original but keep the taste.

What I came up with to get the IBUs (though I'm unsure of the taste) is

60 Minutes .5 ounce Perle
30 Minutes .75 oz Mittelfrueh
15 Minutes .75 oz Saaz
10 Minutes .75 oz Vangaurd

Now you may want to tweak them around, for flavoring but that should get you in the right direction from a recipe standpoint.

Awesome. This is going to be my first 3 gallon all grain.

Any thoughts on mash temps? Probably in the lower numbers? 30 min at 140ish, 10 at 158, mash out 165?

My local brew shop has a decent hop collection so I should be able to get most of these or find a substitute that will work ok.

Everything was for a 5 gallon batch.

As far as actually mashing that I have little clue on.

LINK

That one is a trickier process but Ithink your process is fine to try. You're basically shooting to get as thin of a body as possible.

Back