Looking to Build my first Kegging system: Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsccw

Reaction score
Hello all,

So I'm looking real hard at building my first kegging system. There are just a few things that are key to what I'm looking for.

I have a 20lb C02 Tank already. I want to start out with a 2 Keg Ball Lock set up.

I do not mind the used Corny's but the new ones do look cool. I figure I can upgrade those later if needed.

Also, I do have a fridge that I can see eventually making into a faucet set up, but for now I was just thinking about keeping it simple and then maybe upgrading to facets down the road. (Should be easy to do that upgrade right?)

So I was looking around at some pricing on some of the sites that I have ran into from the posts here in this forum and just a simple looksee on ebay and here is what I have came up with.

$235 w/o the tank: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/kegging/kegging-systems/dual-double-cornelius-keg-system.html

$204 w/o the Tank (Lesser Regulator than the one above. Seems that this one is a bit more "Touchy" aka less consistent) gas line is 5/16" inner diameter and is 4' long. The beer line is 3/16" inner diameter and 5' long http://www.midwestsupplies.com/review/product/list/id/3708/

$175 (Has a Duel gauge splitter type Regulator) 5 feet of 5/16 Inch gas line. 5 feet of 3/16 Inch beer line http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kits/2SHPCK-BALL_2keg_homebrew_party_kit.shtml

$275 http://www.homebrewing.org/Kegging-...ble-bodied-regulator-NO-CO2-TANK-_p_1779.html

Kegconnection was going to be around $290 (And you would need to piece the kit together)

Northern Brewer was going to be around $275 (And you would need to piece the kit together)

Beverage Elements was going to be around $255 (And you would need to piece the kit together)

Should I be concerned with the quality aspect of the two cheaper options? Anyone have any alternatives that they would mind suggesting?

I think that if you're just starting out you don't need a dual regulator unless you plan on serving at two different pressures right away. You can always add a secondary regulator later.

Upgrading to faucets is not a major undertaking either.

I think that if you're just starting out you don't need a dual regulator unless you plan on serving at two different pressures right away. You can always add a secondary regulator later.

Yeah, I suppose I'm too green to know if I will or not. I suspect that with all the types of Brew i'd like to brew I might want it sooner or later.

I can't offer much on the other systems but I bought a regulator from The Beverage Factory and the output was a size larger than they said. But they also sell on Amazon.com and the prices there were a little better than via the store site.

If I may add, have you looked at Keg Cowboy? Site sponsor and they seem to get good feedback. Or browsing the Vendor section for specials?

Upgrading to faucets is not a major undertaking either.

I disagree. If you have 2 kegs, you want a separate regulator for each. The best reason is to be able to force carb one at 30psi while the other is at serving pressure. But most different styles of beer have different serving pressures. My Blue Moon clone sits at 15psi but my IPA sits at 9. Get the dual regulator - the extra amount is minimal.

Thanks for the tips, I checked out a few more.

KegCowboy wants darn near $100 more for the basic set up.

Also, thanks for the tip on the dual Regulator, I'll certainly be getting one just for those reasons Slipgate stated, thanks again.

I plan on calling Midwest Supplies and the Beverage Factory tomorrow and seeing what they can offer.

Update:

I found a guy 3 1/2 Hrs away that is getting out of Homerewing and has darn near all that I need and then some. Minus the duel regulator

Note: I was already looking to buy a wort chiller, brew pot, carboy and all that.

He has a 1 1/2 year old Clean, well maintained Keezer
Johnson Controls thermostat override
Double faucet and lines set up
3 5gal Ball Lock Kegs
Two 5# CO2 bottles one is full one still has some gas left
3 5 gallon Cornelius kegs
Large Stainless wort chiller
15 Gallon Brew Pot
Ground Propain burner
Propain Tank and regulator
2 glass 5 gallon carboy
Cleaning brushes
Carboy cleaner

He is asking $600 I might be able to get him to $500 or $550 Plus the gas to get there and back.

Heck I figure the freezer alone would run at least $150, The Johnson unit $50 The Keg set up another $325, C02 tanks $75, The Brew Pot $150, Carboys $40, Wart Chiller $50 and the misc, cleaning stuff another $15-$25

That's a good $855..... Sure I'd want to get a duel regulator and possibly upgrade the Faucets, but it's looking like a good deal to me.

Looks like a pretty good deal!

He has a 1 1/2 year old Clean, well maintained Keezer $500
Johnson Controls thermostat override $100
Double faucet and lines set up $150
3 5gal Ball Lock Kegs $90
Two 5# CO2 bottles one is full one still has some gas left $200 (if date current)
3 5 gallon Cornelius kegs $90
Large Stainless wort chiller $75
15 Gallon Brew Pot $100
Ground Propain burner $75
Propain Tank and regulator $50
2 glass 5 gallon carboy $50
Cleaning brushes -
Carboy cleaner -

..Before anything, I advise, to nail down a place for Co2.."REFILL"/"EXCHANGE"
If you dont have one already..
Lots of horror stories.. Cant fill/tank dates..BLA ...BLA...ETC....ETC

..Before anything, I advise, to nail down a place for Co2.."REFILL"/"EXCHANGE"
If you dont have one already..
Lots of horror stories.. Cant fill/tank dates..BLA ...BLA...ETC....ETC

Right, I have a place not too far away that fills Co2. What questions do I need to ask on the tanks specifically? When was the last time they were filled and when the last time they had a "Dated" inspection?

Right, I have a place not too far away that fills Co2. What questions do I need to ask on the tanks specifically? When was the last time they were filled and when the last time they had a "Dated" inspection?

Dates should be good right? Said he had one filled in the last 6 months and the other a year ago.

Back