Looking For Vegas Homebrewer Hospitality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandloathinginaustin

Reaction score
Dearest Vegas Homebrewers,

My girlfriend and I are moving out to Vegas in April to embark on our plan to eventually start a brewpub. In preparation for that, I’ll be driving my car out there (from Austin) and will be looking to hit town on the 23rd of this month. I have a flight back to Austin on the 27th. Over those few days I’ll be getting an apartment locked down, looking for leads on a gig in the craft beer industry, and (as a former poker player) I’ll be sneaking in a little money making on the weekend.

I was pricing hotels for my time out there and then an idea hit me. Why don’t I see if a fellow homebrewer would like to put me up? I need a place to crash, new homebrewing friends, and a familiar face with me at some of the brewpubs/beer bars could help my cause.

In return, I’d bring along plenty of homebrew, anything your heart might desire from any of the Austin area brewers (Jester King, Austin Beerworks, Real, Independence, etc), and be happy to treat you to a meal and drinks at least a couple of the nights. Oh, and I have like 6 glass carboys too many so I can throw those in too.

I’m 29 and pretty laid back. I like animals, kids, penguins, etc. I speak Dutch. I’ve been brewing for almost 2 years. BIAB brewing until I get myself some fancier equipment. Love hopping out saisons and other ill-advised brewing approaches.

Let me know if you’re interested. Even if it’s just for a couple of the nights. You’re welcome to add me on Facebook as a friend to properly ascertain my general delinquency level. :drunk:

Thanks,
Grant
[email protected]

Don't want to burst your bubble, but Nevada has really tough licensing requirements for breweries in general, and especially for brewpubs where the product will be served on site. I don't know all the details, but I have a buddy that looked into the numbers and he estimated the start-up costs to be over a million dollars. That's why there are so few breweries in Las Vegas. Seriously, there are only about 4 very small breweries. So the odds of even finding a job in the craft beer industry here in Vegas is really slim.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but just in case you weren't aware of this I wouldn't want you to get locked in on an apartment lease and relocate without knowing what you're getting yourself into.

I'm not trying to be a downer

LOL! But seriously, I hear you. We're young. We can move if it looks like we're having trouble getting it to pan out. With online poker still on hiatus, Vegas is about the best safety net location I have.

Barriers to entry in any market are not always a bad thing. They're just not for the faint of heart. I'll start working on the rough outline of a business plan when I get out there. As far as potential places of employment I have my eye on Tenaya Creek, Big Dog's, Chicago Brewing Co (if they're still around), Boulder Dam, Joseph James, & then the beer bars like Aces&Ales, Freakin Frog, Khourys, Lees, etc

I lived out there for a year a while back so I have a decent idea of the lay of the land. I figure as a Cicerone certified beer server (and getting next level in May or Aug) I should be able to at least be a bartender somewhere. Plus I always have this silly management degree I've never used. lol

At any rate, I look forward to the challenge! You a SNAFUer DA?

No, I haven't been involved with any of the clubs here in town. More of a one man wolfpack for now, with the occasional help from my brother.

I'd say if you have serving experience then your best bets of those places would be tenaya creek, big dogs, and boulder dam. Joseph James only distributes their beer, so they don't have any staff other than brewery and administrative positions.

If you don't have any luck with those places or with any other routes you try, then let me know. I know a lot of people in the service industry that might be looking for a bartender. My best friend/ex-roommate is a bartender at the Yard House(which has >100 beers on tap, so your beer knowledge would be great there).

If you don't have any luck with those places or with any other routes you try, then let me know. I know a lot of people in the service industry that might be looking for a bartender. My best friend/ex-roommate is a bartender at the Yard House(which has >100 beers on tap, so your beer knowledge would be great there).

Thank you sir! I won't hesitate to ask. Yard House is in my sights too. Trying to get as close as I can to actual brewing (since the idea is to suck up some knowledge while getting paid), but YH wouldn't be the end of the world as a start.

beerandloathinginaustin said:
Thank you sir! I won't hesitate to ask. Yard House is in my sights too. Trying to get as close as I can to actual brewing (since the idea is to suck up some knowledge while getting paid), but YH wouldn't be the end of the world as a start.

Ellis Island brews on site, I swung by there a couple weeks ago since it was walking distance from MGM Signature. They could use some help, bartender told me I had to leave if I wanted food, their pale ale was mediocre and I could see thru the porter. Wasn't terribly impressed, but they at least brew their own. All the locals were drinking the hefe, but I'm not a fan of that style.

Ellis Island brews on site, I swung by there a couple weeks ago since it was walking distance from MGM Signature. They could use some help, bartender told me I had to leave if I wanted food, their pale ale was mediocre and I could see thru the porter. Wasn't terribly impressed, but they at least brew their own. All the locals were drinking the hefe, but I'm not a fan of that style.

Their headbrewer got back to me and let me know they didn't need any help. lol

I just wanted to follow up and report that I'm now the Assistant Brewer at Big Dog's in Las Vegas and I'd be happy to offer lodging, tours, & a beer drinking buddy for anybody headed out this way. Shoot me an email at gheuer at bdhginc dot com.

Latest posts

Back