Looking for this holiday gingerbread, maybe some fruit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teromous

Beer Gnome
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this stuff when I was in Belgium...and I'm pretty sure I had some in Germany too. It reminded me of a mixture of fruit-cake and gingerbread. It had a thick consistency, and was the shape of a small loaf of bread. It tasted spicy like gingerbread. It was nothing like spekuloos or lebkuchen; it was very thick and spongy. If I remember correctly it had pieces of apple in it, but does not really resemble apfelkuchen or apfelbrot. Does anyone know what this is called? I've tried looking up different Belgian and German variations but can't find it anywhere. It was around the holiday season, and I used to see it a lot of places. I figured I would be able to find it easily online, but have been unsuccessful.

Teromous said:
I bought this stuff when I was in Belgium...and I'm pretty sure I had some in Germany too. It reminded me of a mixture of fruit-cake and gingerbread. It had a thick consistency, and was the shape of a small loaf of bread. It tasted spicy like gingerbread. It was nothing like spekuloos or lebkuchen; it was very thick and spongy. If I remember correctly it had pieces of apple in it, but does not really resemble apfelkuchen or apfelbrot. Does anyone know what this is called? I've tried looking up different Belgian and German variations but can't find it anywhere. It was around the holiday season, and I used to see it a lot of places. I figured I would be able to find it easily online, but have been unsuccessful.

Is this similar?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebkuchen

Back