Some stuff about "bottle bombs", bottles and the pressure they can handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
More information from scratching around during Covid lockdown…

One of the underlying concerns with heat pasteurising is “bottle bombs”. There seems to be little data about how much pressure “standard” beer bottles can handle… lots of opinions but not much published information. However, I have come across some factual stuff that I thought worth sharing. As always, make up your own mind about how to use this information.

Basically, the situation is,

Common 333 ml or 12 fl oz bottles weighing more than 7 oz will handle 200 psi pressure

Pasteurising cider with 3 volumes of CO2 at 70C (158F) generates about 160 psi in the bottle

The fine print…

How much pressure does pasteurising generate

As outlined in some of my earlier posts, Andrew Lea’s website has a downloadable carbonation spreadsheet that calculates the pressure generated by different levels of carbonation at different temperatures (http://www.cider.org.uk/carbonation_table.xls). With a typical heat pasteurising process of 3 volumes of CO2, at 70C (158F), bottle pressure would be around 150 psi. With only 2.5 volumes of CO2, the pressure would be even less at 125 psi.

What research has been done on bottle strength

The short answer seems to be “not much!”

The only definitive stuff that I could find was a research study carried out at Ohio State University back in 1953* which examined surface stress of glass bottles under internal pressure. (* “An investigation of stresses in glass bottles under internal hydrostatic pressure”. PhD dissertation by Jo Morgan Teague Jr, B.S., M.S. Ohio State University. Google Ohiolink 5902326.pdf)

Although it looked at issues such as wall thickness, design and stress points, essentially the study looked at how much pressure bottles could take before they failed. There may be other studies, but this was the only one that I could find that specifically looked at the bursting pressure of bottles.

The study found that common 12 oz beer bottles had an average failure pressure of 396 psi for “Export Shape” bottles manufactured by the flow process, and 266 psi for “Select Shape” manufactured by the suction process. There isn’t much information about the bottle manufacturing processes except that they sound similar to the blow process used in the present day.

The bottles in the study were about 20% heavier than bottles in use today (8.5 oz bottles in 1953 vs 7.0 oz bottles in 2020). The Export shape was a bit like like “long necks” and the Select shape was a bit like “stubbies” but apart from the production process there didn’t seem to be much difference between them.

Comparing 1953 bottles with today’s bottles is difficult because both glass and manufacturing technologies may well have improved, with stronger glass formulations leading to getting the same results with less glass. Nevertheless, a conservative approach to what happens with today’s bottles might be to downgrade the 1953 results by 20% since today’s bottles are 20% lighter than the study bottles.

Of course, it isn’t the average bottle that might cause a bottle bomb, it is the weakest bottle which may have flaws or be underweight. The study for the “longneck” bottles had a failure spread of 200 psi to 600 psi. The “stubby” bottles had a failure spread of 300 psi to 700 psi. So, in the worst case, discounting these results by 20%, suggests that even the weakest bottle should stand 160 psi.

One approach to this issue might simply be to only use bottles weighing near to or above the 200g (7oz) “standard weight” of current 333ml (12 fl oz) bottles when heat pasteurising. i.e discard underweight bottles and use them for bottling cider that isn’t going to be heat pasteurised and subjected to high pressure.

Assuming that bursting pressure is related to the amount of glass in the bottle, then with this approach the bursting pressure of 333 ml (12 fl oz) bottles weighing 200g (7 oz) and above should be over 200 psi.

What actually happens

I ran a pressure test trial on some bottles of commercial beer that are normally carbonated to 2.5 volumes of CO2. These bottles were heated to a bit above 90C (195F) at which point the calculated bottle pressure was 180 psi. There were no failures. The water was just about boiling at our altitude (1000 metres) so I couldn't get them any hotter.

A further pressure test on salvaged James Squire, Peroni and Heinekin bottles with 3.0 volumes of CO2 resulted in a pressure of 230 psi with the only failure being a cap blowing off a Peroni Bottle. This seems to be consistent with the 1953 study results.

Interestingly a quick check of my assorted collection of salvaged bottles showed reasonable consistency in weight (i.e. the amount of glass that was in a bottle). The unbranded bottles were generally around 200 grams (7 oz), Premium James Squire around 195 grams (6.9 oz), Heinekin 205 grams (7.2 oz), and Peroni 185 grams (6.5 oz). There were however some bottles scattered among the others that were as light as 185 grams, so not all bottles are “created equal”.

Some other stuff

A post on HBT (by Beaudoin, 9 April 2013)
reported that Grolsch claim that their bottles (which weigh 235g or 8.3 oz, which is about the same as the bottles in the 1953 OSU study) are rated at 290 psi but that the seals will “blow off” or leak at 70-80 psi.

It is interesting to note that Claude Jolicoeur refers to this at the end of his chapter on Ice Cider “I like to use beer bottles with a ceramic closure (e.g. Grolsch bottles), as these will let excess pressure exit and thus avoid bursting”.

ShangHai Misa Glass Co Ltd refers to China National Standard GB4544 “Beer Bottles” which indicates that new bottles should withstand the following pressures. The current standard for China is 1.2 MPa (174 psi), for Japan 1.8 MPa (261 psi) and for all other developed countries 1.6 MPa (232 psi). There is also an inference that recycled bottles will only achieve 75% of these figures.

(Beer glass bottle quality standards - MISA)

The U.S. Department of Commerce, National Institute of Standards and Technology. has published a Voluntary Product Standard for “Glass bottles for Carbonated Soft Drinks”. The minimum internal pressure that bottles should withstand is 1380 kPa (200 psi) for non-refillable bottles and 1550 kPa (225 psi) for refillable bottles.

(Full text of "Glass bottles for carbonated soft drinks")

Last edited:
I used to collect and use pretty much any pop top I could get the label off and that would accept a new cap. There is an incredible variety of weights, sizes and thicknesses out there. Not to squelch any enthusiasm, particularly given you have indicated a potential dearth of published studies, but I would strongly caution you from an experimental standpoint about extrapolating your results. I have a friend who is a ceramic engineer who has been known to wax eloquent about the wonders of glass after a few pints. I would wonder what changes have occurred in glass manufacturing since 1953 which might influence the property you are interested in. For instance, they've gotten lighter but perhaps improvements have occurred in other areas or at least no reductions. And is there some government standard for bottles?

Thanks for your comments. Yep, I agree that trying to get too clever by relating 1953 research to today simply has too many variables, so coming up with absolute answers is problematic. I found it strange that there aren't more recent studies or data, that "bursting pressure" isn't a spec for carbonated beverage containers and that there doesn't seem to be any government or similar standard.

Nevertheless, I now feel comfortable with heat pasteurising "above spec" bottles using relatively low (70C) temperature which also keeps the pressure below the likely bursting point of the bottles. When starting out the threat of "bottle bombs" is a scary unknown. As always goggles and gloves are part of the act.

What I found interesting was the range of the results (unfortunately the raw data wasn't available so I had to interpret some of it from the published bell shape distribution curves) which suggested that most bottles are well above the lowest common denominator and so are much stronger than we think. After all if we experience a "bottle bomb", based on the study it seems as though the culprit is probably a faulty or under-spec product. So it seems to be a good idea to exclude any bottles that are potentially under spec if they are going to be pressurised during heat pasteurising.

The study also looked at where faults occurred, design issues, stress points, etc, which was beyond what I was looking for and the 120 or so pages in the dissertation makes for some heavy reading at times.

There was also good information on "damaged" bottles, i.e. those that suffered nicks and scratches during the production process or their life before potentially being recycled (the study actually set up deliberate and controlled damage to investigate this). Although these factors influenced bottle strength in some instances, the effect wasn't as significant as I thought it might be.

I once did some work for a local bottle manufacturer who was bemoaning the fact that they had sold their technology overseas and that this was coming back to bite them. Cheap imports were now undercutting the original manufacturer with inferior bottles that didn't have the same level of "quality control" as the originals, but which were meeting minimum requirements. The original manufacturer is now out of business, Duh!!!

After yet another few days of wet, miserable weather, scratching around on the internet finally revealed the following extracts regarding pressure limit standards for in glass bottles. I have edited the original post to include a sumarised version of this information…

1. ShangHai Misa Glass Co Ltd website refers to a Chinese National Standard GB4544 “Beer Bottles”.
(Beer glass bottle quality standards - MISA)

“The internal pressure resistance item is one of the most important safety indicators for beer glass bottles. Due to the filling of beer with a certain amount of CO2.therefore,Beer bottle as a beverage bottle filled with CO2 should strictly meet the internal pressure requirements specified in GB4544.The current standards in China stipulate that the qualified product index is ≥1.2 MPa (all developed countries are ≥1.6 MPa, Japan International Standard is 1.8MPa), otherwise, Due to the lack of internal pressure resistance of beer glass bottles, Will cause beer glass bottles to fill, transport, In the process of consumption, there was a bottle burst accident.

The inspection data shows that
The qualified rate of the internal pressure resistance of recycled beer glass bottles was 25% lower than that of new beer glass bottles and selective beer glass bottles”.

2. The U.S. Department of Commerce, National Institute of Standards and Technology has published a Voluntary Product Standard for “Glass Bottles for Carbonated Soft Drinks”(Full text of "Glass bottles for carbonated soft drinks")

4.9 Internal pressure strength

4.9.1 Requirements— Refillable bottles shall with-stand a minimum internal pressure of 225 psi (1550 kPa). Nonrefillable bottles including prelabeled bottles shall withstand a minimum internal pressure of 200 psi (1380 kPa).

Back