Looking for the best type of hot plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewclearAssault

Reaction score
So here's my situation: I really like brewing large gallons of beer using propane, but when my funds are limited and I can't afford all the ingredients for that I fall back to brewing single gallon batches. For this, instead of propane, I just use a hot plate outside. (Roommates don't like the house smelling of boiled hops for inexplicable reasons.)

The problem is the one I got from Sears just stopped working on me (http://www.sears.com/aroma-single-burner-hot-plate/p-00885621000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1). I dissected it though I have no real knowledge of it's inner workings but found that one of the plastic pieces surrounding the "power knob" actually melted. So I'm in the market for a new one.

Is there any key criteria that I should be looking for? I'm less concerned about how much power it can put out and more concerned about the durability of the unit, and being able to leave it on for long periods of time without having any issues.

Back