Looking for something beer safe and magnetic.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubiouschewy

Reaction score
Brainstorming a project and wondering if any of the metallurgists 'round here could suggest a source for a beer safe material that will respond to rare earth magnets. Ideally, it'd be available in 1/4" rod or 3/8" ID tubing. I know some grades of stainless steel are magnetic, but also understand that they're less corrosion resistant than the common 300 grades. I also don't know where to find any of it.

Thoughts?

How about a stir bar?

What exactly are you looking for?

What he said. As I often say at work, "Don't tell me what you want, tell me what you want to do."

A piece of food grade tubing with something iron inside of it would fit the bill as long as you keep the ends of the tubing out of the beer.

A piece of steel heated and dropped into granualted polyethylene will become magnetic and beer proof provided you have it heated the right amount and tumble it in the poly.

430 stainless would probably work, how corrosion resistant does it need to be? If its just for a stir stick you might be able to bend a piece of sheet, check out ebay for 430, you can buy scrap pieces at great prices.

Should we guess the project?
It sounds like you want to retrieve your stir bar. I built a very ugly but free, I had the parts, stir plate that has a steel washer in the lid to hold the stir bar and holder magnet. I use a 35 cent magnet to keep the stir bar on the bottom of the flask; it never leaves the bottom when you pour the starter out. Then hold it, rinse with warm water and replace water with a solution of cleaner. Then I return it to the ugly stir plate and let it clean itself. When done everything goes back under the cover to stay clean and handy till next time.
Just curious was that what you were thinking?

Back