Looking for recommendations HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsbeeryo

Reaction score
First time poster, long time reader... The information, opinions, experience, etc... here I find very valuable.

My question, is the investment of a 2nd 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler worth it for a HLT? Or is the 20 qt pot that came in my original starter kit enough to get the job done?

Thanks all

I started out with a 5 gal cyl. cooler for my mash-tun. When I upgraded to a 60 qt square cooler, I started using the 5G as my HLT. Prior to that, just heated up water as I needed. The whole thing required good planning, but was still quite functional.

Back to your OP, if the 10 gal is cheap enough, go for it.

5 gal rubbermaid cooler.

I think I invented a new fly sparge technique using a 5 and 10 gal cooler. Pics and write ups coming!

The 5 gal rubbermaid is cheap, and holds the temps of sparge water very well.

The 20qt pot is fine...sometimes less is more. Perhaps for fly sparging a second cooler is good to meter the water towards the mash during sparge. I have always felt that a second cooler is silly. (unless fly sparging, or if you have only one pot)

Back