Looking for recipe input on Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a basic 4 gallon amber recipe that I am lloking to vary. I would like to know if substituting 0.75 oz of Centennial bittering hops for the 1.0 oz co Cascade hops would perhaps improve this recipe below.

Basic American Amber Ale (All grain)
7 lbs. Pale Malt 2 Row
1 lb. Crystal 40L
1 lb. Munich Malt
1 oz Cascade (6.1%) 60 min. 29 IBU
1 oz Cascade (6.1%) 10 min. 10 IBU
1 pkg. American Ale Wyeast #1056

Single infusion, Batch Sparge 70% eff.
SG 1.057 39 IBU 0.69 IBU/SG

Revised Basic American Amber Ale (All grain)
7 lbs. Pale Malt 2 Row
1 lb. Crystal 40L
1 lb. Munich Malt
0.75 oz Centennial (10%) 45 min. 32 IBU
1 oz Cascade (6.1%) 10 min. 10 IBU
1 pkg. American Ale Wyeast #1056

Single infusion, Batch Sparge 70% eff.
SG 1.057 42 IBU 0.758 IBU/SG

Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks,

mick

I doubt you would notice any difference at all. Centeinnial is a sub for cascade. Also, you are looking for bittering hops characteristics

I am just curious from reading other posts about how well centennial hops and cascade hops compliment each other. This has been a nice recipe for my friends to enjoy so I thought I might try to improve it. I initially was thinking of trying to use the centennial for both bittering and aroma hops but I then realized that Centennial might not be that versitile.

Oh, centennial is a great aroma and flavor hop! Some great beers are all centennial- Bell's Two Hearted for one.

With changing only the bittering hops, the recipes will be nearly identical. You get perhaps a smidgeon of flavor, but not much in the bittering. Plus, those two hops are very much alike- centennial is often referred to as 'supercascade', so I don't think you'll get much difference from swapping them at bittering only.

Oh, centennial is a great aroma and flavor hop! Some great beers are all centennial- Bell's Two Hearted for one.

With changing only the bittering hops, the recipes will be nearly identical. You get perhaps a smidgeon of flavor, but not much in the bittering. Plus, those two hops are very much alike- centennial is often referred to as 'supercascade', so I don't think you'll get much difference from swapping them at bittering only.
+1

You could try a different hop at 10 minutes if you want a slightly different flavor.
Centennial, Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, Glacier, Summit, or Warrior would all compoliment that recipe IMO.

I'm drinking an ale right now where I used centennial for bittering, and cascade and citra at 10 minutes for aroma/flavor. it's quite good. i posed my recipe in the american ale section

My goal is to try to start creating more variety in the recipes I brew so I can start trying out other hop combinations in order to broaden my brewing experience w/o just trying to reproduce kit recipes.

If I use Centennial hops for bittering what might be a good flavor/aroma hops to use to have something noticibly different than the oriiginal recipe, (Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, Glacier, Summit, or Warrior ?) This could be 2 more types of two additions of the same type perhaps at 20 and 5 minutes..

Thanks for the reply. I am making 4 gallon recipes just so I can try more variety of ale to pass along.

Back