Looking for recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coupe1937

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on a grain bill for an amber red ale with strong caramel toffee notes. This is what I have so far, I'm new at this so any sugguestions/ criticisms would be great.
7 lbs marris otter
1.5lbs munich malt
1lb crystal 40
.5lb crystal 90
.5lb melanoidan
.5lb special b
.25 pale chocolate

I'm looking for advice on a grain bill for an amber red ale with strong caramel toffee notes. This is what I have so far, I'm new at this so any sugguestions/ criticisms would be great.
7 lbs marris otter
1.5lbs munich malt
1lb crystal 40
.5lb crystal 90
.5lb melanoidan
.5lb special b
.25 pale chocolate

I try to keep my recipes simple and for me you have alot going on here.

I would up the Munich malt to 2.0 lbs get rid of the meladonin and special b sub the c-90 for 120 and keep the pale chocolate or sub it midnight wheat...it'll be a nice amber, deep red almost brownish hues.

I'm looking for advice on a grain bill for an amber red ale with strong caramel toffee notes.

Check out the "Make Your Best <insert style here>" series over at Craft Beer and Brewing. For the grain bill, "... strong caramel toffee notes ..." suggests something along the lines of an International Amber Lager but inspiration can also be found in other styles (American Amber Ale, Red IPA, ...)

I try to keep my recipes simple and for me you have alot going on here.

I would up the Munich malt to 2.0 lbs get rid of the meladonin and special b sub the c-90 for 120 and keep the pale chocolate or sub it midnight wheat...it'll be a nice amber, deep red almost brownish hues.

I will definitely try that, thank you.

Back