Looking for Real Ale in Memphis, TN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BioBeing

Reaction score
Well, I guess I sort of gave up looking, and started making my own. Boscos is good, but I need a pass and lots of dollars from my wife to go. [She gave me a brew kit for Christmas. Woot!]

For the record, I'm English, but have lived in Memphis for 15 years. I'm looking to make a few good Special Bitters and IPAs for the memories. Have a batch (my first evar!) of Munton's Old Ale going right now.

Cheers!

:mug:

A good second batch is whatever you are thirsty for! :D

Yup, if you like English style beers in America, ya gotta brew your own. Especially real ale. It is few and far between. I do not know of any commercially available milds and very few good ordinary bitters. Definitely nothing fresh!

Welcome aboard!

Yup, what Zym (above) said. I'm English too, and had to start brewing in order to get a taste of what my taste buds grew up with. The US has plenty of excellent craft brews, but if you want a taste of the old home, then you gotta do it yourself. The American versions of IPA are very hoppy, and I don't even know one that does a bitter.

You have started something you won't be able to stop once you have brewed a good bitter of your own. :)

Yeah, maybe just a nice ordinary bitter...

There is so much info out there (on this forum, in books etc) on how to do it. If I wasn't at work right now, I'd relax and have a homebrew [damn its not ready yet]. Looking to buy a bigger stock pot so I can do a full boil (was just reading your thread, Laughing Gnome ;) ), but limited to partial right now.

Yeah, maybe just a nice ordinary bitter...

There is so much info out there (on this forum, in books etc) on how to do it. If I wasn't at work right now, I'd relax and have a homebrew [damn its not ready yet]. Looking to buy a bigger stock pot so I can do a full boil (was just reading your thread, Laughing Gnome ;) ), but limited to partial right now.

Well, despite two AG bitters (Yeah, I'm still a newb too) ...and several extract bitters. I still reckon my best bitter was a part boil extract recipe (Not a kit) I've just found that full boils and AG are easier to be consistent and that a good brew tends to be better. You can still make a great bitter with the most basic of gear and ingredients. The learning curve is a fun roller coaster. :)

Well, despite two AG bitters (Yeah, I'm still a newb too) ...and several extract bitters. I still reckon my best bitter was a part boil extract recipe (Not a kit) I've just found that full boils and AG are easier to be consistent and that a good brew tends to be better. You can still make a great bitter with the most basic of gear and ingredients. The learning curve is a fun roller coaster. :)
Do you have a link to the recipe? And I am looking forward to the roller coaster. The testing side especially :tank:

I'm down in Oxford. Haven't made it up to Memphis for anything other than driving through yet. Isn't there a homebrew store there in town and dont' they also have a club? They might be a good source of information for you, though coming here was your best choice.

Hi :wave:

Yes we have a store or two here, and there is a club. I may join, but time constraints don't allow it now (job + 3 young kids and all that). I've roped friends in to help brew (and drink)!

I am also in the area, I am from Austin but I live 3/4 of my year in Oxford.

Off Topic but where is a good place to get CO2 tanks Filled onsite in memphis anyone know?

I know you can get co2 tanks exchanged in oxford, but i haven't found a place yet that will fill on site. I also haven't done anything but search online for places that 'might' fill. I haven't called them, but there is that air gas place just north of batesville. They supply all the restaurants with CO2, so i thought they might be a good place to start.

When I tried the local (Dyersburg, TN) Airgas location they told me they couldn't fill the small tanks. Said they swap them and that their place in Memphis did the filling.

Not sure where that is in Memphis, exactly, but it's probably not hard to find.

I know you can get co2 tanks exchanged in oxford, but i haven't found a place yet that will fill on site. I also haven't done anything but search online for places that 'might' fill. I haven't called them, but there is that air gas place just north of batesville. They supply all the restaurants with CO2, so i thought they might be a good place to start.

Yeah, the place north of Batesville is the NexAir (they don’t fill onsite and it takes a week to get them to fill you tank), I called Midsouth Malts today, and there is a fire extinguisher place on 78 right after 240 in Memphis called Floied Fire Extinguisher and they fill but they close at noon on Saturday, I think I am going to go up there next Saturday if you need me to get one filled I'd be more than happy to get it done for you.

Thanks, I actually just got my keg setup, but am still waiting for my stout to finish so i can move it to the keg. Because of this i haven't even set up the keg system. But i do have a full tank.

Hey Guys,

This is my first post but I am in Memphis also. Just started brewing after about a five year break but have had a kegerator for a couple of years. I get my 5lb tank filled at Floied Fire Extinguisher on Lamar near American Way. I can't remember exactly what they charge but it is around $15.00. Hope this helps.

Back