Looking for new software (and BeerTools issues)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosch

Reaction score
So I haven't been brewing much the last couple years, maybe just a couple few beers in Fall. I'm on Linux and had been using Beersmith 2 for a few years. Unfortunately after upgrading my machine earlier this year and just recently installing BS2, it turned out to not be compatible.

I've been trialing BS3, however it is a bit buggy (a lot of entry fields are truncated, makes it difficult to view and enter data). Honestly, I haven't been a fan of the workflow, and ver3 didn't seem to offer anything new of use to me.

I decided to give BeerTools Pro a try. Nearing the end of my trial, and finally got it figured out. I really like the workflows, it's faster and for me easier to run through recipe design. I also like the brew steps report and the automatic calculating of volumes based on temperature.

However, I found it was not really predicting final gravity. Changing mash temps, even dramatically (145 -> 155), did not. Changing yeast strains with very different attenuation (WLP001 with 73-80%, WLP002 with 63-70%) did nothing. Thinking maybe this was a bug in the version I had, I submitted a ticket.

Unfortunately, the reply I got did not help. I was told, basically, that 1) BTP does not try to predict terminal gravity because there are too many variables and no good algorithm for predicting and 2) Linux is behind versions but there is no timeframe for an update.

So here I am looking for something new. I want something local, not online/cloud based. I've read that BrewTarget hasn't been updated in quite awhile. I'm playing with BrewCipher, which looks VERY promising, though being OpenOffice based it's a bit laggy and a lot of the fields are truncated (and it's protected so I cannot adjust font size or anything to accommodate).

At this point I'm probably either going to stick with BrewCipher or just buy one of the brewing calculation handbooks and do it myself from scratch. But, I was hoping my, now apparently overly long post, may find some other ideas from the community. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Buy a cheap laptop that runs windows and use BS3. It is a tool that you need to learn to use properly, but IMO once that is done it cannot be beat.

My next choice would be Brewers Friend. But that is online....

Buy a cheap laptop that runs windows and use BS3. It is a tool that you need to learn to use properly, but IMO once that is done it cannot be beat.

My next choice would be Brewers Friend. But that is online....

Yeah, I appreciate the input but there is no way I'm going to buy a laptop just to run BS3 because their Linux version is buggy. As I said, I used BS2 for years, and know how to use it rather well, but I don't like using it, especially with it being buggy, hence looking for other options...

Yeah, I appreciate the input but there is no way I'm going to buy a laptop just to run BS3 because their Linux version is buggy. As I said, I used BS2 for years, and know how to use it rather well, but I don't like using it, especially with it being buggy, hence looking for other options...

I get that, I suggested the Windows laptop because BS3 is not buggy on Windows. But it is also not a plug and play recipe designer. Those take too much control out of your hands, IMO.

... or just buy one of the brewing calculation handbooks and do it myself from scratch.

Are there multiple handbooks (I was only aware of one)?

instead of a laptop...why not a VM?

Wouldn't a Windows 10 VM on Linux require a purchased license? Or where you thinking along the lines of running an older version of Linux (that works with Beersmith 2) in the VM?

Are there multiple handbooks (I was only aware of one)?

Wouldn't a Windows 10 VM on Linux require a purchased license? Or where you thinking along the lines of running an older version of Linux (that works with Beersmith 2) in the VM?

Not necessarily. Microsoft supplies free VMs for testing. They're time limited, but if you're using them for short spurts, they'll work even past the time limit.

I'll second the brewfather suggestion. It's an modern app that not only has a very nice user interface but also most of the the features one can ask for.

VariousReplies said:
brewfather

Unfortunately, OP was looking for

something local, not online/cloud based

Aside: implement a calculations engine in TypeScript, desktop UI in "Electron" (VS Code uses it), and rewrite the web UI every 18 months to be "modern". If the calculations engine can handle "cold extraction" and "double mash", I'm interested.

Back