Looking for my first kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvav8or

Reaction score
Hello all,

I haven't posted my introduction yet but I'll do it very soon. I have been reading "Homebrewing for Dummies" and want to get serious about this hobby. I hate buying cheap things first with the thought that I will upgrade later as that usually ends up costing twice as much over the long run. With that being said I also dont need the most expensive high tech gear either, somewhere in the middle with components that can be upgraded with additions to the existing components, not replacements is what I am looking for. I stumbled across this and it seems to include everything I will need to get started but I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions as to which kit would be better or best as an introduction kit. Hope what I said makes sense. Well here's the link to what I'm thinking about ordering. Just copy and paste it into your browser and it should work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Home-Brewing-Eq...yZ146224QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thank you in advance for your help.

cvav8or

yeah, thats pretty much all you need(other than a stainless brew pot). you might want to just order that kit directly from midwest supplies though. your not really getting a deal with ebay and also midwest will replace anything not included or lost/damaged in shipping.

Thats the exact I got from Midwest off of eBay. It's worked good for me.

My only problem was that I'm not patient enough to wait, so I went and bought three more glass carboys from AHS.

But yes, that is a good starter kit. Be patient with the seller though. They only leave feedback once a month. I'm still waiting for mine!

As mentioned, you need a brewpot. Although as you've mentioned, upgrading later could cost twice as much. So if you have any interest in progressing to All-Grain Brewing i would consider getting a larger-than 5 gallon stock pot. Maybe even 8-9 gallons. I'm finding myself limited now by my 6 gallon kettle.

Also, these aren't absolutely necessary but make brewing a whole lot easier:
1) Bottle tree - Holds 45 sanitized beer bottles which makes bottling a whole lot easier.
2) Thief - Used to pull a sample of wort/beer out so you can test your gravity

Back