looking for light porter recepie (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernie00

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a porter for a friend. Never done any before but i'm looking for a lighter maybe a little hoppy porter to brew. I looked a little at the database but couldn't find anything.

something extract with steeping. I'm still a begginers so still learning everyday.

Thanks a lot

Ernie

Since everyone is always learning, I'll teach you how to make a recipe instead of giving you one.
First, set up an account at hopville.com. Click on "beer calculus"
Use this website for style guidelines: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style12.php
Decide if you want a robust or a brown porter.

Adjust batch size to whatever you want. As a rule of thumb, 80-90% of the beer should be "base" ingredients. In your case, this is malt extract. I recommend light extract because that way you have a better idea of what kind of malt was used to make it. I wouldn't use dark malt extract.

Add dark grains, like roasted barley or black patent malt, to get the color you want. Add some hops for a 60min boil to get the IBUs you want. Add some hops for 0-5 minutes to get hop flavor. You can add hops after primary fermentation for more aroma.

Post your recipe here and I'd be happy to give you feedback.

Latest posts

Back