Looking for IPA recipe ideas..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlap

Reaction score
I’m looking to make a 5% or less Session IPA and have 1lb each of:

Centennial
Cascade
Amarillo
Chinook

So the recipe can use one or all of these hops. Any ideas / recipes would be appreciated, thanks!

I brewed something kinda like that recently by accident (it was supposed to be a 4 gallon recipe and I somehow added an extra gallon of water.) Here's the recipe adjusted for my mistake. I used Dr Rudi and Cascade hops, but you could substitute any of those on your list for the Dr Rudi, or just use all Centennial like several famous commercial beers.

This was my first try at using dry hopping. It's also the first beer I've made that my wife thinks it smells good ;) I used Voss Kveik yeast and my beer is almost 6%, but I changed it here to S-33 or Windsor to lower the alcohol to 5% and leave more body. T-58 might work well too:

Style Name: American Pale Ale ("session IPA")
Boil Time: 45 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermenter volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.045
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.08%
IBU (tinseth): 44.91
SRM (morey): 6.01

7 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (67.5%)
3 lb - American - Pale Ale (28.9%)
6 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (3.6%)

1 oz - Dr. Rudi, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Boil for 35 min, IBU: 28.09
1 oz - Dr. Rudi, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Boil for 15 min, IBU: 16.82
2 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 6.2, Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Amount: 5 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 100 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 2.5 gal

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale / Safbrew S-33 (or substitute Windsor)

Look up the Sierra Nevada recipe for "Resilience". Its a beer they brewed up with the proceeds going to help the wildfire victims in California. They've made the recipe available for other brewery's around the country to make as long as they too donate the proceeds to fire victims. And even though homebrewers cannot sell our beer they have offered a scaled down the recipe (5 gallon batch) for homebrewers to make. You can find it on the American Homebrewers Association website.

Ingredients
  • For 5 gallons (18.9 L)
  • 11 lb. (4.99 kg) Rahr 2-Row (90%)
  • 1.25 lb. (0.57 kg) Crisp Crystal 60L (10%)
  • 1.0 oz. (28 g) Centennial hops @ 80 min (33 IBU)
  • 1.0 oz. (28 g) Cascade hops @ 15 min (8.5 IBU)
  • 1.0 oz. (28 g) Centennial hops @ 15 min (15.5 IBU)
  • 0.5 oz. (14 g) Cascade hops @ Whirlpool (2.6 IBU)
  • 0.5 oz. (14 g) Centennial hops @ Whirlpool (4.7 IBU)
  • 0.5 oz. (14 g) Cascade hops @ dry hop (0 IBU)
  • 0.5 oz. (14 g) Centennial hops @ dry hop (0 IBU)
  • Imperial Dry Hop yeast or American ale yeast of your choice.
Specifications
  • Original Gravity: 1.065 (16 P)
  • Final Gravity: 1.016 (3.9 P)
  • IBU: 64
  • SRM: 11
Directions
Mash grains at 152°F (66.7°C) for 60 minutes. If including a mash out step, raise temperature to 168°F (75.6°C) and hold for ten minutes. Sparge with 168°F (75.6°C) water to collect 6.53 gallons (24.7 liters) of wort.

Bring to a boil and add hops as indicated. At flameout, stir wort to cool slightly and add whirlpool hops. Let rest for 20 minutes before chilling the rest of the way to pitch temperature.

Pitch yeast. Ferment at 60–62°F (15.6–16.7°C). Add dry hops towards the end of active fermentation, when specific gravity is around 1.020–1.024 (5.1–6.1°P). Let rest for four days or until fermentation is complete.

Cold crash to drop hops out of suspension. Rack to secondary or keg.

Extract Option:
Substitute 8 lb. (3.63 kg) pale liquid malt extract or 7.5 lb. (3.40 kg) pale dry malt extract for 2-row malt. Steep crystal malt in brew pot for 20 minutes at 167°F (75°C). After steeping, remove specialty grains and bring water to a boil. Note: when adding malt extract, it is recommended to turn off or remove heat so as not to scorch the extract on the bottom of the pot.

Thanks everyone! Still haven't decided on a brew. All Day is one of my favs but requires Simcoe. Resilience looks good too!

That "Resilience" recipe looks pretty good. You could substitute whatever 40L or 60L crystal malt you have, and I don't think it will make a big difference. It looks like it will be a stronger than 5%.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Still haven't decided on a brew. All Day is one of my favs but requires Simcoe. Resilience looks good too!
Use the All Day grain bill with Chinook, Centennial, and Amarillo. Dry hop with all three. I've used this very combo. Makes a great IPA.

100% Pilsner or 75% Pilsner and 25% Pale with all 4 hops in late boil and whirlpool and dry hop with Amarillo, Chinook and Centennial, with an accent on Amarillo. Yeast: anything Chico dry or liquid, or Nottingham ( drops brighter than US-05/Chico family ). Moderate Sulfate to Chloride, around 30-40 IBUs, 5-5.5% ABV. Get it drier - around 1.009-1.010, dry hop for 2 days and force carbonate/bottle condition for 5-7 days and consume. Don't prolong the fermentation more than needed: 9-12 days is anough with dry hopping time included.

Cheers.

100% Pilsner or 75% Pilsner and 25% Pale with all 4 hops in late boil and whirlpool and dry hop with Amarillo, Chinook and Centennial, with an accent on Amarillo. Yeast: anything Chico dry or liquid, or Nottingham ( drops brighter than US-05/Chico family ). Moderate Sulfate to Chloride, around 30-40 IBUs, 5-5.5% ABV. Get it drier - around 1.009-1.010, dry hop for 2 days and force carbonate/bottle condition for 5-7 days and consume. Don't prolong the fermentation more than needed: 9-12 days is anough with dry hopping time included.

Cheers.

5-7 days??? It's been a while since I've bottled but I don't recall my beer being very delicious much before about 3 weeks in the bottle

It depends on the style. A higher ABV beer, especially one with a more complex grain bill will take some time to develop full flavours, but lighter styles, like Pale Ales, IPAs, blondes, ESBs, british golden ales, etc. will usually be good in a shorter time span. This is of course personal experience, but I would never hold onto an IPA or a moderate-high hopped beer for 3 weeks and then start drinking it. It just goes against the thought which says you want an IPA to be as fresh as possible ( I am of the opinion that a hopped beer is most time better young and fresh, than conditioned for a specific time periode ). You can always " save " some beer and keep it for some time and see how it develops. I would never do that with an IPA, which is also the subject of this thread.

At 5-7 days it will perfectly drinkable and enjoyable. You will not drink 5 gallons in the course of one week, so you will still have some beer - hopefully :) - after a few weeks, to try and maybe take notes of it, in terms of how well it preserved aromas and flavour.

Last edited:
Back