Looking for instructions/help for a electric herms build. Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J311gonzo

Reaction score
Hello... I have been an all grain Brewer for 5+ years. I bought a new house over the summer and I am unable to brew in the garage like I did at my previous home. But I can from my basement which makes me want to go electric. Can someone please direct me to a build guide or directions for a 5/10 gallon set up? I've read Kals website up and down but not willing to dump the 2000 into it at this time. I was thinking about the ebrewsupply.com 50 amp build but I contacted them and asked if it came with directions and was told it didn't. If someone could help guide me I would be most grateful! Thanks all and cheers! :rockin:

Read through Kal's site and modify it as you see fit. If you don't want blingy twist-receptacles just replace them with other ones, leave out the amp/volt meters etc. He really does have a great site.

Also there are a tonne of eHERMS builds in this subforum you could search for, and you could look through https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/list-pj-electrical-diagrams-382286/ for a wiring diagram that might suit you. Depends on what you are wanting to do.

You can get into electric brewing for under 400 bucks if you already have the kettles and proper electricty ran.
If you dont need all the bells and whistles to start with you can run a element with a potentiometer and use it like a outdoor propane burner.
If you are willing and have some electrical "know how" then this is a good place to start
http://www.stilldragon.com/diy-controller.html
if not then hire someone because you dont get hurt or killed....
The most expensive piece of NON brewing equipment I had to purchase was a 220v GFCI Breaker but it is NOT an optional piece of equipment for saftey reasons.
There is a ton of good info in this forum as well.

Unfortunately, it's hard not to spend $$$ on any 10 gal system. If the electronics don't get you, the plumbing probably will. With that said, depending on how much automation you want (e.g. BCS vs PIDs), you can probably build a pretty nice 10 gal electirical system in Sanke kegs with HERMS for around 1K. The things that sneak up on you are items like 10/3 wire, spa disconnect, copper (anything), control box. Other items, like stainless fittings are more predictable, they just add up quickly.

Perhaps consider BIAB?? I have no experience, but others on this site swear by them, and you could reduce your footprint to a single vessel with 1 element and PID temp control.

Good luck!
;)

Merzeone - I have my dryer 220 hook up and its right next to where i want to place the brewery so I'm good as far as that goes. The site that you have mentioned is a still sight correct? I'm confused how that would help me with a MLT and BK. I'm not trying to insult just understand my friend. thank!!!

I've heard a ton of stuff about PJ's diagrams! everyone uses them... Its just therer isn't usually a part list or break down with the diagram... and seeing as I am in law enforcement and electric isn't my go to I figured I'd try and find one that had some instructions and what not.

I have a google doc up with some sourcing info here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0pnODGktozrU0JwMS1xS1dEbWM/edit?usp=sharing

I spent about $1000 all said and done but I needed all the fittings, hoses, pumps and such to get into all grain. I was only using one kettle extract setup before.

Definitely used Kal's site as the basis for everything, but Ithink if you're setup for all grain already, you can do it for around $400-500 as others have mentioned.

Back