looking for Information on Vietnamese brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archamc3

Reaction score
:confused: my uncle a american Vietnam vet doesn't really talk about his times during the war a lot but one of the things he recounted to me was the month or so he spent AWOL partying away all of his combat pay. He found out I brew and asked if I could make him some of this "amazing beer" he had while he was over there he described it as a "beer" as very light in color, thirst quenching, quiet potent/ almost hallucinogenic in nature. that was all i could remember from the beer if i can think of any more details i will add them. but if it is something I can discover and produce for him I would in heartbeat because it was part of his paradise in that hellhole of a conflict and would bring a smile to his face with the good memories.does any one have an idea of what this could be? also I'm pretty sure he spent most of that month partying it up in a brothel if that helps

That might work but I dont see the Vietnamese having worm wood perhaps it was brought by the french

That's funny. I'm not sure what the soldiers drank back then...60's-70's but I can definitely ask my parents. From my limited knowledge, the most common Vietnamese beer then was beer '33'. Today, I think you can find a bunch of stuff in Vietnam but the most common ones are '333' and Tiger (not sure why it's 333 now and not 33). Both are pretty standard lagers that you'll find everywhere around the world. Look up Tiger beer and there's probably a recipe somewhere. I'm pretty sure that's very similar to what your uncle had but I'm also positive that it'll taste different to him because he probably equates the beer with good times, getting high and partying with a bunch of pretty women, which may not be the case today.

Ba Moui Ba, or 33, was THE beer of Vietnam during the war.

It is also the beer rumored to have a dose of formaldehyde for an extra reverse evolution "kick". And was highlighted in the movie "Good Morning Vietnam".

I am Vietnamese and 33 (băm ba which is three three or ba mươi ba which is thirty three) sound about right. 33 were sold during the war and still in business today. You can find this beer in the US at almost any Asian supermarket or at least in California, Texas & Virginia that I known of.

Bia33.jpg

Ba Moui Ba, or 33, was THE beer of Vietnam during the war.

It is also the beer rumored to have a dose of formaldehyde for an extra reverse evolution "kick". And was highlighted in the movie "Good Morning Vietnam".

That's the stuff my FIL said they called Bommity Bomb. I'd like to find some here to give to him for old times sake.

Ayup. Only, I "think" the original was sold in thick green glass with white print.

And, a few vets say the export available here is not near as vile as what they had in Nam', thus not a comparison and not what they are looking for.

Ayup. Only, I "think" the original was sold in thick green glass with white print.

And, a few vets say the export available here is not near as vile as what they had in Nam', thus not a comparison and not what they are looking for.

Well, yeah, the recipe changed over time. From what my FIL said it was drinkable, even warm, but they were desperate dudes and very thirsty!

Well, yeah, the recipe changed over time. From what my FIL said it was drinkable, even warm, but they were desperate dudes and very thirsty!

I dunno that the recipe changed. IIUC, there is a local version and the export. the export being more in tune with the macro lagers found in the US.

I dunno that the recipe changed. IIUC, there is a local version and the export. the export being more in tune with the macro lagers found in the US.

IIRC they had several or many plants and the recipe (since the company first made beer) has changed how it was made plenty of times, and different plants even made different beers form each other based on what ingredients they could each get.

I'm sure everything is standardized these days.

Back