Looking for improvement for beer body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCookie

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been working in a simple blonde ale using just Pilsen malt and carapils, the body of my beer is fine... but not great, so I'm looking for ways to improve it's body:

The first thing that crossed my mind was a protein rest, but I've read that a performing a protein rest in a well-modified malt could be prejudicial, Here I leave the info of the Pilsen malt that I use (see pic)

the Kolbach index (36 - 45%) indicates a well-modified malt, but also in this article of BYO It shows the Fine-coarse difference values >1.5% may need a protein rest, so no idea it's this rest may be needed for my malt

Also, it's possible to improve the body of the beer by just adding more carapils? the dextrins in the carapils should improve the body in the beer as well, right?

Any other advised that have work for you guys?

inf.png

I've had good results by adding 1/4 lb per gallon of Lactose at flame-out. Along with more body, your beer may be slightly sweeter. JMO

I little more c-pils maybe, but I'm not generally a fan of the stuff.

If it were me and I wasn't opposed to changing up the grain bill a bit, I would sub out about 10% of the pils for flaked barley or wheat.

Or there is decoction if you have the time to spend. That would probably be the best solution, it's just a bit of work.

If you can step mash you'll get what you need. The Hockhurz mash was a big improvement to my process.

Recently i've done a few like this:
131F 0min - promotes starch hydration below gelatinization. gets the starch available for conversion
144F 20min - if your gel temp is low enough you'll get great beta amylase activity. otherwise it's kind of an acid rest
148F 20min - beta amylase rest. promotes conversion and if you hold long enough, lower FG.
153F 20min - ensures conversion is complete
161F 30min - creates dextrins (good for body and head) - throw out the CPils.
169F 10min - mash out

It's a long mash, but one with great benefits, including:
1. 100% mash conversion. This will drive your overall mash-lauter efficiency higher. Best to separate the two though.
2. Low final gravity
3. Great head retention (the 161F for 30) - this is one key step
4. Good body while still getting good attenuation

Another body creating possibility, although difficult to acheive on home scale, is to stop the fermentation before it's completely done.

Back