Looking for hi tech brewing solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bachamp

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been wanting to brew beer for ages but I've never had space or time. Finally, I've moved into a house that has some space, but time will still be a problem.

I'm also really into tech helping with repeatability and speed. I'm a fan of programming in recipes and let the brewing machine do the work rather than sitting there with a stopwatch etc. I'm also short on time but and can afford things that make brewing faster but I still want it to be interesting and challenging to perfect.

So I'm looking for a high tech solution that makes brewing faster gives great repeatability and takes care of the boring stuff (cleaning) while not limiting what I can do (I'll want to do full grain etc). Only looking for small batches, 2.5 to 5 Gallons prefered.

I've been looking into devices such as:

PicoBrew Z Series (Zymatic replacement)
Brewie
The failed Brewbot

Also accessories like the BrewNanny, kegerator etc.

I'm wondering what other devices like this I should be looking at and if there is there an ultimate small batch setup out there.

I know some will suggest that I should start small & cheap, but I know myself and I know I'm going to get into brewing. I'll likely get to a point where I enjoy brewing more than drinking.

Thanks
Ben

Last edited:
Grainfather sounds like the best bet for you, though the pico sounds like a good fit as well (never used one but I remember people being limited to set recipes, looks like that’s no longer the case). It won’t clean itself or your fermenter, or your bottles/kegs though.

I conceptualized a system that would add water, get it the right temp, dump pre measured ingredients, self sparged, removed grains pitch yeast and fermented all by itself, then I realized that I’d miss out on the best part of brewing, actually brewing. If you don’t get to enjoy the process why not just buy commercial? It’ll be a hell of a lot cheaper, will take less time and you’ll have better variety. If on the other hand geeking out on DIY automation is your gig then it might be the perfect project (but it doesn’t sound like you have time for that either).

Last edited:
Skip the high tech, save your $ for a kegging system and fermentation control. Making wort doesn't have to be high tech, complicated or expensive. I've been all grain brewing for years, but recently have experimented with pre-hopped extract and regular extract, and using the mini-mash method and 1/2 hour boil, you can make wort in less than an hour.

I'm not limiting myself to one or the other. The Grainfather Advanced Cooling kit looks pretty impressive, it has a Conical Fermenter and Glycol Chiller so I can chill the wort and ferment at controlled temperatures (heating and cooling).

Add a Grainfather Connect for the wort and a kegerator and it would seem I have a pretty complete system (abit an expensive one).

Can someone explain the difference between the Grainfather Connect and the PicoBrew Z Series? It seems to me the PicoBrew is a better setup. Just want to check on that though.

So much out there...

Noticed PiocoBrew make a device called KegSmarts that goes onto a kegerator that can do temperature control during fermentation... With the Z series I would still need a chiller so maybe its better to just go with the Glycol Chiller / Conical fermenter and keep the kegerator for just serving.

Sorry for the spam messages, I'm still preferring the smaller batch size of the Z series, but not sure what chiller/fermenter to get with it. Would the Grainfather Conical Fermenter and Glycol Chiller still work well with 9.5L when its designed for 23L batches? I'd imagine you wouldn't want to have the fermenter only a 1/3 full.

You really want to speed up brewing, do larger batches. The bigger you go the more time you save because you'll have to brew less often. I do 10gal batches and the extra time is minimal from a 5gal batch. This is even more true if you're doing extract.

As far as the cleaning, yeah umm youre SOL on that unless you go hire a worker to do it for you. It doesnt matter how much you spend, you'll never speed up or eliminate the need to clean. Getting some of this high tech stuff may even create more cleaning and boring work because of all the parts and pieces that can hide gunk. Trust me it really sucks throwing out even a single 5gal batch of your hard work because you avoided cleaning something fully. My advice on this though is spend the money for stainless steel and take the few minutes extra to hose everything down when youre done with a piece of equipment. SsBrewtech makes soem great stuff thats easy to clean and if you really go nuts you can setup a CIP system that makes it easier if you do it right.

Thanks for all the replies. It did change the direction I went.

I ended up going for a Grainfather Advanced Brewing kit (has the connect + fermentor + glycol chiller) + pressure transfer to transfer from the fermentor to the kegs + Kegerator & kegs.

I know its nuts for a beginner to go this route. But hey, now I cannot blame the equipment for bad beer...

I'll pick up the equipment this week and brew my first batch this weekend.

I know its nuts for a beginner to go this route. But hey, now I cannot blame the equipment for bad beer...

Dont be so sure about that. There is no shortcut for experience no matter how fancy the setup. It's going to take some time to learn your equipment, especially since its high end stuff. There is something to be said for starting basic besides it being cheap. With just a bucket, glass carboy and a racking cane there is very little to learn, clean, or screw up. It really takes equipment out of the learning equation so you can focus on techniques and good habits. Especially when youre also trying to learn a recipe and how it tastes.

Im curious though about how you like your new system and what sort costs it was? Going electric so i can better temp control the mash has been on my list of wants for years.

I’m just bitter because Grainfather apparently doesn’t offer this system in the states..at least on their website.

I’m just bitter because Grainfather apparently doesn’t offer this system in the states..at least on their website.

They do appear to offer it, you just have to select US in the region at the top left.

Its awful pricey though for 5gal batches with a single vessel system. If you do really get into brewing like you think and like most of us here you'll be kicking yourself at being limited to 5 gals or having to brew every week or so to keep up with your consumption. Even now im wishing i had just jumped to 15 or 20gal batches instead of 10.

I was really waiting for SS Brewtechs new home systems. All automated electric 3 vessel systems with stand for about the same price as the "advanced brewery set" grainfather sells in NZ, but much more flexible in volumes and thier stuff is second to none in quality. They seem to have abandoned them for now though in place of 1BBL "pro" brewery systems for 16k. Brewing every 6 months would be nice, but ill never justify to the wife the 16k!

Its awful pricey though for 5gal batches with a single vessel system. If you do really get into brewing like you think and like most of us here you'll be kicking yourself at being limited to 5 gals or having to brew every week or so to keep up with your consumption. Even now im wishing i had just jumped to 15 or 20gal batches instead of 10.

Not so!! I brew 5 gallon batches and have absolutely no desire to do bigger. To me that would mean that I have to drink 10, 15 or 20 gallons of one style of beer. Or have a lot of beer on hand to have a lot of styles. At one time I had bottles of 12 different beers. Imagine all the bottles that would be if you had brewed 12 different beers at 15 gallons each!!!!

If half of those 12 batches were left that would be about 300 bottles I had. If it were from 15 gallon batches I would have had 900 bottles on hand!!!

There are many that brew more often and don't even want 5 gallons.

Not so!! I brew 5 gallon batches and have absolutely no desire to do bigger. To me that would mean that I have to drink 10, 15 or 20 gallons of one style of beer. Or have a lot of beer on hand to have a lot of styles. At one time I had bottles of 12 different beers. Imagine all the bottles that would be if you had brewed 12 different beers at 15 gallons each!!!!

If half of those 12 batches were left that would be about 300 bottles I had. If it were from 15 gallon batches I would have had 900 bottles on hand!!!

There are many that brew more often and don't even want 5 gallons.

i agree to both. i went straight to 1/2 barrel batches after my first 2 brews. i wanted to brew less often and be self sustainable. i friend pays for half the ingredients and i give him 1 keg and i keep 2. if the brew turns out fantastic im glad i have a additional keg. if it turns out less than fantastic i wish i didnt lol.

oh and fwiw i think the grainfather is a great starting point. ive considered getting one for the test batches i currently do as 2.5biab on my stovetop

I ended up going for a Grainfather Advanced Brewing kit (has the connect + fermentor + glycol chiller) + pressure transfer to transfer from the fermentor to the kegs + Kegerator & kegs.

Congratulations on your system purchase. I don't think it's nuts at all. There is something to said for going high end right away as you won't have to relearn as you constantly add upgraded parts to the system like you would if starting with lesser equipment.

As for size, I've been brewing for 30 years and am still doing 5-1/2 gal batches. I much prefer brewing to drinking so making 10 gallon or bigger batches would be a waste. To each his own.

I’m another vote for 5 gallons. Fits perfect in a keg and my selection is always fresh and varied. I’ve done plenty of 10gal batches but I always split them with a friend. I can fit 10 gal in my ferm chamber but I’d rather have 5 gal of two styles than 10 gal of one style.

I much prefer brewing to drinking

That will be me as well, I only drink a beer or two per week. I'm hoping my a friend wants in and I can start splitting batches.

Its awful pricey though for 5gal batches with a single vessel system.

Its also comes with a conical fermenter and a glycol chiller as well. So I wouldn't really call it a single vessel although I understand what you're getting at. The glycol chiller can control 4 fermenters as well, so I could do a couple of batches in one day, different recipes etc and I could ferment them with only a little extra spend. Really though the cost is in the smarts, the apps, websites etc.

I brewed my first batch in it today, went surprisingly well and everything went to plan. I was working at the same time (I work from home) and overall I lost about 3 hours to brewing, mostly during sparging and cleaning. It's now in the fermenter so at a nice 18c, cannot wait to try it out in a few weeks.

I need to setup a pond pump and have an ice bath to chill the wort. The counter-flow chiller worked fine (dropped it to 20c no problem with 16c cold water temp). But I wasted a lot of water and I don't like that, so an ice bath with and recirculate should reduce consumption.

Overall had a blast and looking forward to my next batch as soon as the fermenter is free...

Latest posts

Back