Looking for Extract Oktoberfest Recipe - Help Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betelgeuse4721

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm kind of a novice and can't really find a simple Oktoberfest extract recipe.

It will have to be an ale as well . . . I live in Florida and it's still pretty damn hot.

Any help at all would be great.

Thanks!!
Brady

If you search for oktoberfast ale (yes that is fast not fest) there is an extract version of the recipe on the 2nd or 3rd page of comments (I think it's by BierMuncher?). I'm on my ipad otherwise I'd link to it for you.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

If it's the one I'm looking at, there is a partial mash and I'm pretty intimidated by that and don't really know what to do or even if I have the equipment. Looking for a more simple recipe if possible.

All it is is a fairly high alcohol lager made with Munich Malt,
and low bitterness.
8.5 pounds of Weyermann Munich malt (liquid)
0.75 ounces Perle hops 7%aa 60 min. (I'm assuming a high
utilization of 30% because it's extract only).
The so called "american" ale yeast simulates the American
lager style, but the attenuation may be a little too much.
You don't seem to be worried about duplicating it exactly
though so I wouldn't worry about it.

The Weyermann is 100% Munich Malt, the Briess version
is I think 50/50 Pilsner/Munich, I would try to get the
Weyermann version.
Ray

betelgeuse4721 said:
If it's the one I'm looking at, there is a partial mash and I'm pretty intimidated by that and don't really know what to do or even if I have the equipment. Looking for a more simple recipe if possible.

There's an extract with steeping grains version there (just checked #18 comment on that thread). The AG version is tasty.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

Here is my version of an Oktoberfest Ale. Brewed it 4 weeks ago and its pretty tastey. Malty with low bitterness, higher ABV and easy. All ingredients are from Northern Brewer
9lbs of Munich LME
1oz Mt Hood
1oz cascade
1/2lb Carapils
1/2lb Carmel 20
Safeale S-33
Steeped the 2 grains for 30 minutes then added to boil water. Boiled all LME for 60 minutes with Mt. Hood at 60min. and Cascade at 10min. Primary for 2 weeks, bottle condition for 2 weeks and drink up.

Here is my version of an Oktoberfest Ale. Brewed it 4 weeks ago and its pretty tastey. Malty with low bitterness, higher ABV and easy. All ingredients are from Northern Brewer
9lbs of Munich LME
1oz Mt Hood
1oz cascade
1/2lb Carapils
1/2lb Carmel 20
Safeale S-33
Steeped the 2 grains for 30 minutes then added to boil water. Boiled all LME for 60 minutes with Mt. Hood at 60min. and Cascade at 10min. Primary for 2 weeks, bottle condition for 2 weeks and drink up.

What temperature did you steep the two grains at for 30 minutes? And what do you mean added to boil water? Like dumped the grains in the boil?

I did not keep an exact temp for the steep. I made sure not to boil though. I also did not use grain bags. I put the grains in a pan and covered them with water. After the 30min I strained them with a collender, collected the water and rinsed them. To rinse them I used my hose end sprayer with a trickel of water coming out, moving it around the grains so as to completly rinse the grains. The rinse water ended up being about a 1/2 gallon. The water that was collected is what I added to my roughly 2 1/2 gallons of boil water.

I did not keep an exact temp for the steep. I made sure not to boil though. I also did not use grain bags. I put the grains in a pan and covered them with water. After the 30min I strained them with a collender, collected the water and rinsed them. To rinse them I used my hose end sprayer with a trickel of water coming out, moving it around the grains so as to completly rinse the grains. The rinse water ended up being about a 1/2 gallon. The water that was collected is what I added to my roughly 2 1/2 gallons of boil water.

OK cool. I think I'm going to steep them for 20 minutes around 155 in a cheesecloth bag and then remove them prior to boil.

I will let you know how it turns out, I'm excited to see the results!! Thanks for the recipe man.

Brady

Latest posts

Back