Looking for cider kegging options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Reaction score
I've always bottle refermented for fizziness before but had mixed success. I'm kind of paranoid about bottles exploding though and thought maybe kegging would be a better option. Kegs are kind of expensive though. What's the best option and what equipment do you need at a minimum?
2 kegs
2 taps
Cleaning equipment?
Co2
Pipes?

Minimum equipment would be a keg, a Co2 tank, regulator, and a refrigerator to put the keg in. Instead of taps through the door of the fridge, I use a piece of tubing and an inexpensive "picnic" tap, but I have to open the fridge when I pour a beer. I don't really drink all that much so its not an issue. You really don't need much special equipment to clean a keg.
There are lots of good YouTube videos about all aspects of kegging.
Look on your local craigslist for used kegs or buy them from an on line retailer.

Minimum equipment would be a keg, a Co2 tank, regulator, and a refrigerator to put the keg in. Instead of taps through the door of the fridge, I use a piece of tubing and an inexpensive "picnic" tap, but I have to open the fridge when I pour a beer. I don't really drink all that much so its not an issue. You really don't need much special equipment to clean a keg.
There are lots of good YouTube videos about all aspects of kegging.
Look on your local craigslist for used kegs or buy them from an on line retailer.
How much are the co2 tanks and how long do they last?
Once you open the keg, presume you have to drink the cider within a few days or does it last longer?

I bought all mine used, may $50-$75? How long they last depends on how big they are and if you waste the gas or are careful with it. I'd say a 5lb tank with just one keg should last 6 months? It all depend on how many times you are emptying the keg. When you go to clean or refill the keg you have to let all the pressure (gas) out so that uses it up.
The cider (or beer) inside the keg stays under pressure of Co2 and it doesn't go bad. Keeping it refrigerated helps as well. I'd say you could keep cider in a keg (cold) for years. I have cider in jugs and carboys that are several years old, not refrigerated not under Co2 and they are fine. If you leave headspace in a carboy it will go bad pretty quick, but in a keg you don't have to worry about that.

Check Craigslist for keg and regulator sales. You may be able to get everything cheaper than you think. My area always has stuff for sale and I have even gotten kegs for free.

I've found a 4 pack of Italian stubby kegs. Are they decent? Much cheaper than Cornelius it seems.

Also, if I want to have the co2 bottle work 1 carbing line and 1 dedicated line to serve beer, do you need a manifold and an extra pressure guage?
I assume one line will have to be at 10psi, the other line at 30psi.
Edit: or a dual product primary?

Typically carbonating pressure and serving pressure are the same. But for multiple kegs if you want different levels for each then yes you'd need to rig a manifold and regulator for each. Those questions are best posted in the kegging/bottling sub forum.

My cider keg setup is very simple - A 5 lb CO2 tank and regulator, a little 1.5 gallon "cannonball" keg, and a mini dorm sized fridge.

26615235565_a40c675fe7_c.jpg

I have a couple legs and a tank/reg./ manifold but no fridge. I do everything at basement temp. then bottle off the keg. If I wanna drink from the keg I do it keg party style with a tub & ice.

When I started brewing I was lucky to find an acquaintance who was getting out of home brewing. I bought his 2tap kegerator, 5 ball lock kegs, a 20 lb co2tank with regulators for 200.00.
Save your shekels and make the investment and you won't be sorry!

My advice is to bypass the corny kegs, as they have lots of fitting maintenance and places for failure. Buy a Sanke keg and tap as they are beer industry standard. If you check the kegging/ bottling section there is plenty of info on keg setups. The best brewing decision I ever made was to switch to kegging, with sankes.

Keg Connection has some good kits with paintball tanks. Good starter setup.

Latest posts

Back