looking for camping recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
I will be bringing my weber smokey joe gold 14"grill.
prod39214.jpg

looking for some ideas for camping good eats.

PBJ. bring some red potatos, squash, zucchini a bag of pearl onions and some minced garlic a couple lemons and fish for what ever you can catch and create a foil packet and after dicing the vegies and have some poached fish.

for burgers get some good sirloin and have it ground into hamburger. get a packet of liptons onion soup. mix the onion soup and the burger with some Worcester sauce and make some burgers. dont forget the dogs.

Are you going to be cooking what you catch/hunt or bringing the meat up yourself?

But to second what pen25 said, bring some good aluminum foil, potatoes, and whatever other veggies you enjoy. You can't go wrong with wrapping up taters, onions, garlic, and a few other veggies with some butter, salt, and pepper and getting a great camping side dish.

Otherwise, another good camping staple we use is a dozen or two of Johnsonville brats. Always fantastic on a grill. But if you want to take some hamburger, I always keep camping burgers simple and use some Old Bay seasoning. Mix in a decent amount of Old Bay with your burger meat, patty them up and throw them on the grill.

And I like pen's idea with the onion soup mix for burgers. I've often added those dehydrated onion flakes to burgers with some salt, pepper, and garlic powder before, so I'm sure the onion soup would be great as well.

we definitely will be bringing all the meat we would use with us.

I love potatoes like you described.

Rig a spit over your campfire & spitroast some cornish game hens. 1 game hen for each person, plus sides. You can do anything you like from BBQ to brushing with a beer/butter sauce. Don't forget the grahm crackers, hershey bars & marshmallows for making smores.

For your grill, get some 1lb salmon fillets, & marinade them in a 50/50 mix of soy sauce & fresh lemon juice for about an hour. Grill them over mesquite wood/charcoal/chips. The trick is to only turn them once. Serve with your fav veggies & small red potatoes. You might try planking some fish too. You can usually find those cedar planks in grocery store fish counters.

You can't beat a rack of BBQ spareribs. Use your fav BBQ sauce and be sure to grill them low & slow. I like to mix equal parts of Masterpiece mesquite BBQ sauce & honey, with the juice of 1 lime, 1/2 tsp Rooster sauce, and about 1 cup of porter.

Try some chicken leg quarters with the skin removed. Marinade 2 hrs in a mix of 24oz Sam Smith's Taddy Porter (let it go flat), or your own brew; and 4lbs frozen huckleberries (thawed), you can substitute 3lbs blueberries if you like. Mash the berries in a big ziploc freezer bag, they'll easily mash with just hand pressure. place the chicken leg quarters in the bag & pour in the beer. Seal the bag & move it around in your hands, lightly sqeezing it to mix the berries & beer. This will darken the meat quite a bit, so don't be alarmed when you see the color.

Hope you find these things tasty. Regards, GF.

Hobo dinners. Ground beef pattie in the bottom of a foil packet with onions, potatoes, whatever veggies you like and a couple slices of bacon. Throw it on the fire till its done. My dad always made these growing up when we went camping.

Hobo dinners. Ground beef pattie in the bottom of a foil packet with onions, potatoes, whatever veggies you like and a couple slices of bacon. Throw it on the fire till its done. My dad always made these growing up when we went camping.

we are actually doing these on the grill tonight!

for burgers get some good sirloin and have it ground into hamburger. get a packet of liptons onion soup. mix the onion soup and the burger with some Worcester sauce and make some burgers. dont forget the dogs.

you know whats even better than Lipton's Onion soup mix in burgers ?

An evelope of Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing Mix

Pudgie pies are a staple when we go camping. Pizza, taco, whatever you want to fill them with. And egg ones for breakfast. And the kids love making them.

We love HOBO pies (camp cookers, or pie irons) made with butter tastin biscuit rolled out instead of bread. Or refrigerated croissant rolls.

We've even had a hobo pie cooking contest once. Several families involved. Way too much hobo pie goodness! My entry was an Italian Chicken with cheese and italian spices and tomatos. My friend made yellow cake with a brownie fudge in the center. (He started cooking the cake on each open half, then slapped them together to finish once they cooked a bit.)

Pudgie pies are a staple when we go camping. Pizza, taco, whatever you want to fill them with. And egg ones for breakfast. And the kids love making them.

We love HOBO pies (camp cookers, or pie irons) made with butter tastin biscuit rolled out instead of bread. Or refrigerated croissant rolls.

We've even had a hobo pie cooking contest once. Several families involved. Way too much hobo pie goodness! My entry was an Italian Chicken with cheese and italian spices and tomatos. My friend made yellow cake with a brownie fudge in the center. (He started cooking the cake on each open half, then slapped them together to finish once they cooked a bit.)

See, the possibilities are endless!

Another fun thing to do, though I haven't done it in awhile, is a Polish Luau. It's great for large gatherings and group camping trips.

You start with a NEW, NEVER USED, galvanized garbage can. You line the bottom of the can with a case or so of BMC (cans) and crack open the beer cans. You then layer on top of the open beer cans some brats, skin-on hot dogs, potatoes, onions, corn on the cob, and anything else that triggers your fancy. Put the cover on the can and support it over the campfire for about 2 hours. The beer will steam-cook all of the food above it and it is absolutely delicious! The brats, and any other non-pre-cooked sausage, will be white in color because of being steamed instead of grilled. If you think that would not be appetizing, then grill them first a bit to brown them.

I used to do a lot of mountain climbing a trail hiking. Because of bears we always brought
lots of trail mix and instant food. no fresh meat to attract the bears.
One of my favorite hiking meals was beef jerky chili.(no darn beans ever !!) I'd premix all my spices and keep em in a zip lock baggie and a couple backs of beef jerky. on chili day
I'd break up the jerky into bite size pieces and put them in my pot 1/2 full of water in the morning to rehydrate. Then I'd hang the on a line from a branch high enough so the bears couldn't reach.
By supper time the jerky would be rehydrated. Drain off most the water add your spices and let it simmer away.
Not your ordinary home made chili , but after a couple of days of trail mix and spam it tasted pretty darn good.

camping is easier ,because you've got a cooler and don't hve to carry all your food on your back.
Maybe try some grilled pizza -ribs - oe even something bigger. I've done plenty of roastbeefs and pork tenderloin on the grill. just start your coals and when they are good and hot ,bank them all on one side of the grill. put your roast on the other side with a drip pan underneath. baste every 1/2 hr or so and toss some potatoes wrap in foil on for the last hour.

Here is my camping spit,made it out of a beer keg and use heat beads or hot coals to cook on.
It cook a great roast.Here it is at home with a leg of lamb on it
Picture167-2.jpg

Does no one else wrap their hobo dinner in cabbage leafs?

you don't eat the cabbage but it keeps everything moist and from getting burnt.

I will be doing some or all of the hobo pies above. I also would love to see some pics of a polish luau

Another fun thing to do, though I haven't done it in awhile, is a Polish Luau. It's great for large gatherings and group camping trips.

You start with a NEW, NEVER USED, galvanized garbage can. You line the bottom of the can with a case or so of BMC (cans) and crack open the beer cans. You then layer on top of the open beer cans some brats, skin-on hot dogs, potatoes, onions, corn on the cob, and anything else that triggers your fancy. Put the cover on the can and support it over the campfire for about 2 hours. The beer will steam-cook all of the food above it and it is absolutely delicious! The brats, and any other non-pre-cooked sausage, will be white in color because of being steamed instead of grilled. If you think that would not be appetizing, then grill them first a bit to brown them.

I just want everyone to know that galvanized is poisonous when burned. If you want to try this than burn a good hot fire in the can before using it to burn off the galvanized coating. Use some apple wood or something for the fire to get a good flavor seasoned on the can.

I will be doing some or all of the hobo pies above. I also would love to see some pics of a polish luau

More hobo pies ideas we did:

Chicken pot pie (my favorite)
Italian Meatball
Pizza
Dessert with whatever stuff you can find (marshmallow, cinnamon chips, chocolate, etc.)
Breakfast (sausage, eggs, cheese, bacon)
Cheeseburger
Reuben

I advise spraying the cooker with a bit of spray butter to keep it form sticking. Also I like to roll out the biscuit dough before putting on the cooker. Much easier than trying to spread it out with the fingers.

you should also make some beer butt chicken

get some tin snips, cut the top off a can of beer - drop in a clove of garlic and a spoon of crab-boil. insert the beer can into the ass of the chicken and grill

camper pies are freaking great. Classics for our family are Reubens, pizzas, and my favorite, chocolate, peanut butter and marshmallow. Going camping again this weekend for the long weekend. Looking forward to using my new tripod. I really need a cast iron pot for it.

Weekend before last we camped and had chicken stir-fry one night. It went over really well, its filling but not so filling you can't enjoy eating it outside if its hot. And also, it only takes a wok to cook it, so its easy to clean up. 2 chicken breasts, 2 packages of frozen stir-fry veggies, couple of green onions and some soy sauce and you're in business.

I just want everyone to know that galvanized is poisonous when burned. If you want to try this than burn a good hot fire in the can before using it to burn off the galvanized coating. Use some apple wood or something for the fire to get a good flavor seasoned on the can.

Hmmm, never hurt us any.......

it may not have hurt you yet, but if you or yours have serious health problems in the future you may not be so cavalier...Why take the chance?

Also worth noting, the galvanizing process involves coating the steel in zinc, a substantial amount of which could be ending up in your food. I like your idea, but perhaps it could be adapted to use a modified beer keg? I have a couple of cut golden gate kegs that that fit the turkey fryer lid nicely...

Ok, i've done this many times in the past and have never had a problem. I may be mistaken; maybe the can was not galvanized, but it was steel. They sell them all over around here- I'm going to go to Menard's and check it out and let you know for sure.

Most steel cans are galvanized. I believe you can get rid of the problem by heating up and letting the fumes go away. As long as the food is not in contact should be ok. I'd not do it though. Call me paranoid.

They were indeed galvanized. But I still wouldn't be afraid to use them. As I said, I've done it in the past, many times, with no problems.

think long term effects: a cigarette may not hurt you today, eating something fried won't either. Speaking as a doctor thats a silly thing to say. Many cancers come about from exposure to known poisons decades ago.

of course i'm NOT a doctor, i was just speaking as one. If there was a minute chance cooking over something unsafe could harm my children somewhere down the line I'd rather not use it

Earlier this year I took my cast iron dutch oven and a pork shoulder roast on a camping trip. The night before we left, I seared all sides of the roast then rubbed with vinegar and a homemade dry rub. Saturday morning I put the dutch oven on the campfire with the roast, drippings from searing it earlier, a couple of onions, a handful of cliantro and a beer. By sundown it was falling apart and everyone made sandwiches or got a bowl full.

It was the best and easiest camp meal I've had. I'll be doing the same on future camping trip, and plan to try making stew for the following day.

think long term effects: a cigarette may not hurt you today, eating something fried won't either. Speaking as a doctor thats a silly thing to say. Many cancers come about from exposure to known poisons decades ago.

of course i'm NOT a doctor, i was just speaking as one. If there was a minute chance cooking over something unsafe could harm my children somewhere down the line I'd rather not use it

It's been at least 15 years. That long term enough for ya?

Look, I may indeed get cancer someday. But I really think it's a helluva lot more like to happen because I inhaled second-hand smoke a couple times a week in a bar for thirty years or because I spent too many years crawling around people's attics in in order to hook up their electricity than because I ate food cooked in a garbage can once a year or less. Sometimes you guys just gotta stop the fear-mongering.

We're all gonna get cancer from something. Might as well have some good food along the way :D

Wouldn't make my household stove out of the stuff, but I'm sure once a year is pretty dismissible.

hey my pie irons got rained on, and have a bit of rust now. any tips on removing the rust and proper way to store em?

Smoke some baby backs at home, wrap them in aluminum foil, seal in a vac lock bag if you have the ability, and freeze the ribs. Take them camping. It's as easy as that. Just take them out of the vac lock bag, warm in the coals of your fire and enjoy.

I smoked a pork shoulder the day before we went camping and finished it that morning. Took the whole thing to the campground and pulled it there. Not bad for my first try!

galvanized is bad if inhaled. you can get poisoned by it. this is why its not recommended to weld it. if yuo get sick while welding drink some butter milk to neutralize the effects. as for your food? im sure it would be safe. has been used for a very long time in way too many different cases to say someone got sick from eating something like this. i mean people use these things to smoke with. granted the seasoning process locks in the sides. so when you get a can season it up really good like yuo would a normal smoker. after seasoning you can keep if for the next time.

BTW lil chief pit grills are made with galvanized metal and have been for many many years.

Back