Looking for an expert...Wayneb you still here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitasch

Reaction score
I have not been here for a Looooooong time, missed the place and have too many batches bottled and brewing to fit in my sig line :mug:

Ok...to my point, on my very first batch of mead, I posted a question here

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/first-attempt-mead-109172/

Wayneb and others were very gracious, but I have one more question..... if you read the second page of the post above, this batch would no longer read on the hydrometer test, but appeared to continue fermenting in the carboy well past when it should have....

Eventually it stopped and I have just now bottled this batch. It is incredibly great tasting, but it is what I call HOT....meaning it feels like doing a shot of grain alcohol.

Actually it goes like this.....light sweetness, with a slight hint of cinnamon, then a dry ending...then the burn in the back of your throat...

I had a freind try it and had to stop him after one bottle (through a five hour period) since I kind of want the guy around a while and he was starting to say he could not feel his eyeballs. :D

I was hoping the someone with the equipment and the ability to get an abv reading on this batch would volunteer to run this test for me if I send them a bottle of it.

Wayneb, you came to mind since you seem to have all the equipment and the knowledge.

TIA

By not read on the hydrometer are you saying it was under 0.980? That's where the scale on mine stops. If that's the case and it was 1.140 to start, you've got over 20% ABV.

You can determine ABW if you have a precision scale.

David41,

Yes, the hydrometer thunked to the bottom a month before it stopped fermenting. I had contemplated stopping the fermentation, but thought what the hey, I'll let it go till it decides it is done on it's own. I know I have over 20%, but the hydrometer is the only testing equip I have. Basically, if I get 18% abv on my wines and meads I am happy, and not super concerned with what the exact is....but this one has my curiosity peaked.

It needs to smooth out just a bit I think, although those who have tasted it love it, aging will not hurt it in my opinion......BUT, that burn is not going to age out...that is why I am curious.

A vinometer is a little tube that costs a few bucks that can give a rough idea of alcohol content. I have to use one sometimes, when I mess up my math or lose track of what was what.

High ABV stuff takes more time to mellow out. I have an 18.75% ABV cyser that might be drinkable in about 4 or 5 years. I'd take another hydrometer reading, if it's sinking to the bottom of the test jar, I think you need more liquid in the jar. Regards, GF.

Back