Looking for an easy first partial mash brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidsmakeyoucrazy

Reaction score
I've been brewing since Dec 26th, but so far just extract + specialty grains. I recently bought a 8 gallon brew pot but I've been so busy I've only used it once. I'm hoping to be able to brew again in about a month and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for an easy partial mash brew since I now have a 5 gallon and 8 gallon pot... I also have temp control issues here in the summer (which I should fix once my shed / brewhouse is complete)...but until then I need something that's easy and can stand temps pushing 80F during the day. I'm thinking I'm going to be stuck with brewing Hef's and Belgians until I can get temp control in the summer, but I'd love some suggestions.

BTW, the only beer I don't like is Guiness, and that's probably because I've never had it served properly. I brewed a stout for my 4th beer and absolutely love it. I'm game for just about anything.

check out northernbrewer.com

I did their rye pale - it sat in a closet in my house with a blanket around it for 2 weeks - then did a secondary container for calrifcation for 2 weeks, then cold crash. for 5 days before kegging. It turned out awesome

There's a brown ale in my recipe list over there on the left that was my first PM. It's a good, tasty brown ale and is a pretty easy recipe. It also would be pretty forgiving as far as esters go as it has a sweeter, fruity flavor to it already.

Check out some of the swamp cooler methods on here. I used a plastic tub and some frozen water bottles and kept a beer under 70 degrees when it was close to 100 in the apartment.

I've done the swamp cooler method before, just not in the summer. I'm not sure I can get it to work well. I'm cheap so my temps in the summer fuctuate from 82deg during the day (no one home) to 76 in the evening. Winter is much easier for me since again...I"m cheap so the temp in my office / ferment room can drop to 60 before the heat comes on, and it never goes above 72(Time programable thermostats are awesome!). Water baths seem to work well there, but I'm not sure about summer....or at least not sure I'll remember to check the temp twice a day and make adjustments.

I might just say screw it and brew a saison ;P

Back