Looking for an easy conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinnick

Reaction score
I am completely new to GF brewing and fairly new to home brewing overall. I was wondering if I could get a hand with converting a recipe.

9 lbs DME
1 lbs caramel 40
2 oz chinnok @ 60
1 oz simcoe @ 30
1 oz northern brewer @ 10
1 oz crystal @ flameout
2 oz citra dryhop
WLP099 high gravity yeast

For a 5 gallon batch...

Thanks, Nick

I am completely new to GF brewing and fairly new to home brewing overall. I was wondering if I could get a hand with converting a recipe.

9 lbs DME
1 lbs caramel 40
2 oz chinnok @ 60
1 oz simcoe @ 30
1 oz crystal @ flameout
2 oz citra dryhop

For a 5 gallon batch...

Thanks, Nick

Sounds like a big beer. You can pretty much substitute sorghum extract syrup for DME, though may people choose to use both sorghum extract and rice syrup (as some don't like the taste of sorghum grain, and the sorghum extract syrup is darker than some of the light malts, so blending the 2 can give you a lighter color).

The caramel/crystal 40 is a little bit harder, as there isn't a 'direct' replacement for it. You could try to get the same effect by roasting your own grains, and if you want to do that, I'm sure someone here can help (I've only tried roasting grain once, and I haven't used it in a batch yet, so I don't feel qualified to give advice on it just yet :D)

Anyway, what was the recommended DME in the original recipe? (Light, amber, dark?) For the usual light or amber, I'd say something like a 6 lb jug of sorghum extract syrup, and then 3 lbs of rice syrup (either liquid or dry solids), or perhaps change out a pound or two of the rice syrup for corn sugar if you get sticker shock from the price of rice extract.

That also brings me to another idea, you could try to caramelize some sugar as a replacement for the caramel 40 malt.

Hops are GF, so you're fine on that front, and that leaves us with the yeast. There's a discussion here, but to sum up: liquid yeasts are cultured on barley-made wort, so there is a small amount of gluten present in liquid yeast, which will then be diluted to a very small amount of gluten present in a 5 gallon batch of beer, and could be further diluted by building a starter and dumping off wort...as far as I know, all dry yeasts are GF.

Anyway, that is judgement call you'll have to make. If you choose to use dry yeast, post up, and someone can help you choose the best dry yeast (I'm not familiar with the wlp099 off the top of my head, so I'm not sure what dry yeast would be the closest replacement, but I'm sure I can find out).

9 lbs DME
1 lbs caramel 40
2 oz chinnok @ 60
1 oz simcoe @ 30
1 oz crystal @ flameout
2 oz citra dryhop

For a 5 gallon batch...

Thanks, Nick

5 lbs Sorghum Syrup
4 lbs Brown Rice Syrup
1 lbs Amber Candi Syrup
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
2 oz chinnok @ 60
1 oz simcoe @ 30
1 oz crystal @ flameout
2 oz citra dryhop

5 lbs Sorghum Syrup
4 lbs Brown Rice Syrup
1 lbs Amber Candi Syrup
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
2 oz chinnok @ 60
1 oz simcoe @ 30
1 oz crystal @ flameout
2 oz citra dryhop

Oh, yeah, I forgot about buying amber candi syrup. Making your own candi syrup is for people who don't plan ahead, and don't have anything that resembles a LHBS, and who like making a huge mess. I swear, there's some sort of black magic involved, and the sugar won't turn from light yellow to dark red until you spill some on the floor, which then gets all sticky, and sticks to your socks, and gets tracked all over the kitchen floor...

People with names like "dorklord". :D

I was checking out the numbers and instead of an abv of around 9% it turned out to be around 5.5%. what would happen as I I crease the sorghum enough to match the original abv?
Nick

I was checking out the numbers and instead of an abv of around 9% it turned out to be around 5.5%. what would happen as I I crease the sorghum enough to match the original abv?
Nick

Beer calculus, with 5 lbs of sorghum and 4 lbs of rice, and then 1 lb amber candi sugar, gives 7%.

You could easily up it to 6 lbs of sorghum (where I get, it comes in 6 lb jugs...)

If the original recipe says 9%, he is either doing a mini-mash or he is calculating wrong. Steeping grains would give you an ABV of about 7.5%, not far off from where this recipe is.

DKershner: your numbers are within margin of error of what I got putting it into some online calculators

Sinnick: were you using brewing software/online calculator? If so, perhaps you picked rice hulls or something instead of rice extract syrup/solids. Otherwise, they could have an incorrect value for the ppg of the sorghum extract?

Could he use Safbrew T-58 or Safbrew S-33 yeast. They both say they work up to 11.5%. I've never used either of them so I don't know from experience what flavors they impart.

Could he use Safbrew T-58 or Safbrew S-33 yeast. They both say they work up to 11.5%. I've never used either of them so I don't know from experience what flavors they impart.

He definitely can use whatever yeast he wants. T-58 imparts spicy notes when fermented up high, S33 is clean down low and banana-y up high.

The closest dry alternative to WLP099 would be S-04 or Windsor.

I am using the calculator on the brewmaster warehouse website. What would the OG be with 6 lbs of sorghum, 4 lbs of rice solids and 1 lbs of Belgian candy? Are there any other syrups that would be compatible to up the OG? What would be the problem with using 10 lbs?
Thanks, Nick

I am using the calculator on the brewmaster warehouse website. What would the OG be with 6 lbs of sorghum, 4 lbs of rice solids and 1 lbs of Belgian candy? Are there any other syrups that would be compatible to up the OG? What would be the problem with using 10 lbs?
Thanks, Nick

About 1.076. No problem with doing any changes, but you just asked us to convert a recipe.

5 lbs Sorghum Syrup
4 lbs Brown Rice Syrup
1 lbs Amber Candi Syrup
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
2 oz chinnok @ 60
1 oz simcoe @ 30
1 oz crystal @ flameout
2 oz citra dryhop

Do you suggest yeast nutrient because there wont be enough fermentable sugars otherwise?

Back