Looking for a session IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy_84

Reaction score
Anyone know a good session IPA recipe. I have a few ounces of Amarillo and chinook hops left from my last batch I brewed. I'm brew partial mash not AG if that helps.

Ive been toolign around with session IPAs. Getting the malt buill down is not as simple as adjusting an IPA recipe down proportionally since you need more body and malt character to balance the hops. Here's ym lastest one, you could just use light DME for the pils and maybe wheat DME too.

6 lb pilsner
1 lb vienna
2 lb wheat
8oz flaked oats
8oz honey malt

avert your eyes if you are hop squeemish. Amarillo and chinook work well together and you could really use any hop combo you want. Its the emphasis on hopstands that makes my IPAs stand out IME
@60min: 1/2 oz magnum
@15min: 1 oz belma / 1 oz hallertau blanc
@0min: 2 oz belma / 1 oz hallertau blanc / 2 oz huell melon
*60min hopstand*
@+30min: 1 oz belma / 1 oz hallertau blanc / 2 oz citra
@dry: 1 oz hallertau blanc / 2 oz citra
@dry2: 2 oz huell melon
@keg: 2 oz citra

Ive had really good luck with the following grain bill

3lbs Maris Otter
3 lbs White Wheat
2lb flaked barley

Mash at 152

Hops I like to keep around 40 IBUs with everything 20 minutes and in.

Just finished the last bottle. Brewing it again soon.

3.5 lbs US 2-row
2.5 lbs Pilsner
12 oz flaked wheat
12 oz Victory

Centennial for bittering
Cascade & Citra - 2 oz hop stand and 2 oz dry hop

US-05 yeast

2 step mash at 131F and 148F

OG 1.041
FG 1.007
SRM 5
IBU 51
ABV 4.5%

i think by my estimations, all those are for 5gal. May need to adjust depending on your efficiency to get ~5%

Just finished the last bottle. Brewing it again soon.

3.5 lbs US 2-row
2.5 lbs Pilsner
12 oz flaked wheat
12 oz Victory

Centennial for bittering
Cascade & Citra - 2 oz hop stand and 2 oz dry hop

US-05 yeast

2 step mash at 131F and 148F

OG 1.041
FG 1.007
SRM 5
IBU 51
ABV 4.5%
mine is similar and I love its color. 9# 2 row, 1# victory .5# wheat bittering with Chinook, Chinook and azacca for mid boil, finishing and dry hop. the simple bill lets something like azacca/citra or Amarillo come through really nicely. use clean yeast like 1056 and ferment cool

Partial mash if possible. I have a friend that wants to brew with me this weekend. Kinda figured doing a partial mash with him would be easy to brake him into brewing.

Sorry Jeremy. Missed the PM part. So, use the recipe I posted before but sub out the pilsner for 3.3 lbs Pilsner LME, reduce the 2-row to 2 lbs and add 0.5 lbs Extra Light DME. That will get you an OG of 1.044 and about 50 IBU. Still under 5% ABV. I used 3.3 lbs LME since that is the standard size bag at my LHBS. If yours has other sizes, you can adjust appropriately with the DME. Good luck.

Ive been toolign around with session IPAs. Getting the malt buill down is not as simple as adjusting an IPA recipe down proportionally since you need more body and malt character to balance the hops. Here's ym lastest one, you could just use light DME for the pils and maybe wheat DME too.

6 lb pilsner
1 lb vienna
2 lb wheat
8oz flaked oats
8oz honey malt

avert your eyes if you are hop squeemish. Amarillo and chinook work well together and you could really use any hop combo you want. Its the emphasis on hopstands that makes my IPAs stand out IME
@60min: 1/2 oz magnum
@15min: 1 oz belma / 1 oz hallertau blanc
@0min: 2 oz belma / 1 oz hallertau blanc / 2 oz huell melon
*60min hopstand*
@+30min: 1 oz belma / 1 oz hallertau blanc / 2 oz citra
@dry: 1 oz hallertau blanc / 2 oz citra
@dry2: 2 oz huell melon
@keg: 2 oz citra

Ok I'm interested in this one....how did it come out?

But is this really 18oz of hops?

Back