Looking for a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erroneous

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew something for a family reunion coming up in mid-July. I have a couple weeks before I can take my oktoberfest out of primary into secondary, so I have a little time to figure out what I want to do.

What I'm hoping to do is something that your average Bud/Busch/Miller drinker would like. I'm thinking like a Kolsch or a cream ale. Also, has to be good to drink in 2 months time. I have a fermentation fridge, but it will be keeping my oktoberfest at 55 until I start lowering that down to lager temps, so preferably something that's fine at ale temps. I've done a partial mash before, and specialty+extracts is what I'm used to.

I made two beers yesterday, both of which I think you could make and appease coors light drinkers (non beer drinkers).

Cream Ale 5 gal

3 lb light lme
2 lb extra light dme

Steep grains- 30 min steep

Half lb caramel 10
4 oz biscuit malt

1/2 - 1 oz cascade at 60 mins
1/2 oz saaz at 15 mins
1/2 oz saaz at 5 mins

Pitch at 68 degrees with wyeast 1056 American ale

Easy Hefeweizen 5 gal

6 lb wheat lme
1/4 lb munich lme

Steep grains- 30 mins

1/4 lb Light wheat malt
2 tablespoons approximate of crystal malt

1 oz spalt at 60 mins

1/2 oz crushed coriander at 15 mins

Cool to 68 degrees and pitch Wyeast Weihenstephaner. I don't remember which number it is but it's the only strain I use for it.

The hef will be bubblegummy and exploding with carbonation. It's light refreshing and people will not be able to get enough of it.

Happy Brewing.

Oh yea, I just remembered I have pics of the hef. I got drunk and forgot to take pics of the cream ale but at least you can see how one of them looks.

image-3882856855.jpg

image-505873538.jpg

Thanks. I had thought about cream of three crops, but the multiple centennial blonde speaks to me more. BierMuncher seems to know how to make some great recipes!

HoboBrewery what temp do you ferment the hefe at? I've heard that can change the flavors quite a bit with them.

HoboBrewery said:
I made two beers yesterday, both of which I think you could make and appease coors light drinkers (non beer drinkers).

Cream Ale 5 gal

3 lb light lme
2 lb extra light dme

Steep grains- 30 min steep

Half lb caramel 10
4 oz biscuit malt

1/2 - 1 oz cascade at 60 mins
1/2 oz saaz at 15 mins
1/2 oz saaz at 5 mins

Pitch at 68 degrees with wyeast 1056 American ale

Easy Hefeweizen 5 gal

6 lb wheat lme
1/4 lb munich lme

Steep grains- 30 mins

1/4 lb Light wheat malt
2 tablespoons approximate of crystal malt

1 oz spalt at 60 mins

1/2 oz crushed coriander at 15 mins

Cool to 68 degrees and pitch Wyeast Weihenstephaner. I don't remember which number it is but it's the only strain I use for it.

The hef will be bubblegummy and exploding with carbonation. It's light refreshing and people will not be able to get enough of it.

Happy Brewing.

Oh yea, I just remembered I have pics of the hef. I got drunk and forgot to take pics of the cream ale but at least you can see how one of them looks.

Oh yea I put some Munich in there so maybe it won't be as light as i claim.

I've been considering taking some 6-row, some 2-row, and around 15 percent corn and fermenting with wyeast Cali-lager to make something for my non good beer appreciating friends. Perhaps calling it Dragon Piss...

Yeah I'm going to go with that centennial blonde. Damn, if only I had equipment for AG, I'd be paying about half the price! My LHBS is good with hops and grains, but charge out the ass for extracts :(

Maybe I can find a cooler on CL

I've been considering taking some 6-row, some 2-row, and around 15 percent corn and fermenting with wyeast Cali-lager to make something for my non good beer appreciating friends. Perhaps calling it Dragon Piss...

Try it! Here's a decent recipe.

And don't knock it. It's damned difficult to brew really good light beer. Any idiot can brew a Hopzilla. It takes skill to brew a beer where any flaw in your skill/setup will be found.

I never, ever waste my beer on people who don't appreciate it. Especially my light beers, beers which I've worked my butt off to get good enough to brew well. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Back