Looking for a new beer style to brew, any recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of this particular brew. I'm clueless. :no:
It's basically a low alcohol beer made with a 100% oat malt grist and with cream of tartar added to the boil for a some sourness, it comes from Viena I think

My “Bullwinkle Brown”, pretty much a Moose Drool clone, is 87% 2-row, 7% chocolate 350L, 10% Caramel 40L and 25 IBU.

87+7+10=104%?????

This seems basic enough for a holiday brown ale base i would like to make...should i drop the 2-row to 83% and i have caramel 20L on hand, is that suitable to replace the 40L with or should i change the percentage of something?

Thanks!!

87+7+10=104%?????

This seems basic enough for a holiday brown ale base i would like to make...should i drop the 2-row to 83% and i have caramel 20L on hand, is that suitable to replace the 40L with or should i change the percentage of something?

Thanks!!
I fat fingered 83 into 87. Yeah, you could use caramel 20.

Brew a keptinis (how is this spelt correctly?!).

You make a mash through adding boiling water to the grain till the grain reaches about 65c, the mash is a dough.

You wait one hour and then you bake the dough at high heat till really nicely caramelised, takes more than an hour. Then you steep it in water till the sugars are extracted and from there you proceed as usual. No need for long boils though.

Sounds interesting. I only have a toaster oven, so maybe I could take a small portion of the mash and bake it. This seems like a fun experiment to do the day before brew day and then add the barley casserole to the regular mash on brew day.

Sounds interesting. I only have a toaster oven, so maybe I could take a small portion of the mash and bake it. This seems like a fun experiment to do the day before brew day and then add the barley casserole to the regular mash on brew day.
I think the original is baked in a wood oven, so actually, toaster oven doesn't sound too far away! Or is it just physically too small?

Last edited:
I did some more research on the style and it sounds like something I'd really enjoy. I only have a small electric toaster oven. I'd either have to do a really small batch or do it with a friend using a larger oven. I think this is something I'll definitely try.

My recipe, scaled to 1 gal, would be-
1.8 lbs 2 row
2.4 oz chocolate
3.2 oz caramel
I use Magnum @60 min and Willamette @15 min to about 25 IBU.

Thanks...two last questions. Hopefully. If i am going to spice this for an xmas brown ale, are those mild enough hops so they dont interfere? And would a safale05 be sufficient enough yeast for this?

Thanks...two last questions. Hopefully. If i am going to spice this for an xmas brown ale, are those mild enough hops so they dont interfere? And would a safale05 be sufficient enough yeast for this?
Those hops are what I would call “neutral”. Not a lot of flavor. Enough bittering to offset any residual sugars but not a really distinctive flavor as with any of the “C” hops. I’m drinking a pint of this Brown as I type this and it’s definitely a malt-forward beer.

Magnum is a high AA hop, but I only use half an ounce in 5 gallons. Willamette is a low AA hop and I use a quarter ounce. For a gallon batch you wouldn’t have to do much more than wave a bag of hops over the kettle. :cool: As for the yeast, I use US-05 in this recipe.

Those hops are what I would call “neutral”. Not a lot of flavor. Enough bittering to offset any residual sugars but not a really distinctive flavor as with any of the “C” hops. I’m drinking a pint of this Brown as I type this and it’s definitely a malt-forward beer.

Magnum is a high AA hop, but I only use half an ounce in 5 gallons. Willamette is a low AA hop and I use a quarter ounce. For a gallon batch you wouldn’t have to do much more than wave a bag of hops over the kettle. :cool: As for the yeast, I use US-05 in this recipe.

Thanks! My home brew store didnt have magnum hops. I picked up some fuggles. I have crystal and ek golding on hand. I will lightly hop with one of these. Planning on brewing it up tomorrow with a few xmas spices for a holiday brown ale.

Thanks! My home brew store didnt have magnum hops. I picked up some fuggles. I have crystal and ek golding on hand. I will lightly hop with one of these. Planning on brewing it up tomorrow with a few xmas spices for a holiday brown ale.
Report back and let us know what you think of it.

Imperial Red is on my list, may be one for you as well.

I love ambers and iipa’s and this should be a good combination of those two...

Well I got the Holiday Brown Ale brewed tonight. 1 gallon batch. "Bullwinkle Brown" copy....

29oz Rahr 2-row
2.4oz Crisp Pale Chocolate
3.2oz Caramel 120L

152 mash for 60 min (BIAB)

Boil 60 min

5g Fuggles at 15 min

Pinch of cinnamon 1min
1/2 pinch each ginger, all spice, nutmeg and corriander 1 min

OG: 1.050

1/4 to 1/3 packet of Safale05

BF says 1.059 OG, 1.010 FG, 6.36% ABV, 24 IBU and 24.83 SRM

My OG is a little low, but should be fine.
20201031_000658.jpg

Well I got the Holiday Brown Ale brewed tonight. 1 gallon batch. "Bullwinkle Brown" copy....

29oz Rahr 2-row
2.4oz Crisp Pale Chocolate
3.2oz Caramel 120L

152 mash for 60 min (BIAB)

Boil 60 min

5g Fuggles at 15 min

Pinch of cinnamon 1min
1/2 pinch each ginger, all spice, nutmeg and corriander 1 min

OG: 1.050

1/4 to 1/3 packet of Safale05

BF says 1.059 OG, 1.010 FG, 6.36% ABV, 24 IBU and 24.83 SRM

My OG is a little low, but should be fine.
View attachment 704820
I Like that one. Pretty much no bulls*hit straight to the point.

I Like that one. Pretty much no bulls*hit straight to the point.

after 8 days....little to no bubbles in the blow off tube....took a gravity sample and it came out at 1.016 for about 4.5%ABV. Gonna check it again in a couple days. Bottle if same or give it a few more if it is still dropping. My carboy sits in about 55 degrees, but I have it wrapped in a towel to keep it closer to 60 degrees. Tasted the sample and I'm not mad at it. Spices didn't really come through much, if at all. Didn't want to go overboard, but I think I can bump them up next fall. But I think this could be a year rounder, minus the spices. Will update at bottling and after carbonation. Excited about this one

after 8 days....little to no bubbles in the blow off tube....took a gravity sample and it came out at 1.016 for about 4.5%ABV. Gonna check it again in a couple days. Bottle if same or give it a few more if it is still dropping. My carboy sits in about 55 degrees, but I have it wrapped in a towel to keep it closer to 60 degrees. Tasted the sample and I'm not mad at it. Spices didn't really come through much, if at all. Didn't want to go overboard, but I think I can bump them up next fall. But I think this could be a year rounder, minus the spices. Will update at bottling and after carbonation. Excited about this one
In my opinion you took the right decision regarding spices, take notes on what you added.

If you feel it needs more, you can always add more at the cold side, I've successfully added spices to beers in secondary many times and it's easy to control the amount, although I recommend adding them on its own instead of a blend, some are more powerful than others and need to be taken off before than others

In my opinion you took the right decision regarding spices, take notes on what you added.

If you feel it needs more, you can always add more at the cold side, I've successfully added spices to beers in secondary many times and it's easy to control the amount, although I recommend adding them on its own instead of a blend, some are more powerful than others and need to be taken off before than others

Appreciate the support. I don't think I will put it in secondary, I was just gonna bottle from primary. Would it be logical to drop a cinnamon stick in now, probably just 3 or 4 days before I bottle. I assume that would be enough time in a 1 gallon batch to pull a little more spicy flavor into it. I did add spices individually with 1 minute left in the boil. I have it labeled as a 'holiday brown ale' and i don't want to miss on the 'holiday' part...thoughts? It will certainly be consumed either way.

TIA

Appreciate the support. I don't think I will put it in secondary, I was just gonna bottle from primary. Would it be logical to drop a cinnamon stick in now, probably just 3 or 4 days before I bottle. I assume that would be enough time in a 1 gallon batch to pull a little more spicy flavor into it. I did add spices individually with 1 minute left in the boil. I have it labeled as a 'holiday brown ale' and i don't want to miss on the 'holiday' part...thoughts? It will certainly be consumed either way.

TIA
Yes, in a few days you can get some cinnamon taste in there, just break it a bit and add it in a mesh bag and in 3 days it should have some good character

Back