Looking for a light beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hey boys and girls. I am looking to find a light beer recipe that is tasty and low on ABV, around 4-4.5%. Thoughts?

Yes it is. I have just made that and it is very good indeed. Looking to try something different this time

Charlie Papazian's Amaizeing Pale Ale

7lbs 6 row (I substitute 2-row)
1lb Crystal
1lb cornstarch (I substitute corn sugar)
Your favorite hop - 35 IBU's 60 minutes
Your favorite hop - 1/2oz 5 minutes
Ale yeast

Goes down easy on a hot day or any day for that matter.

Hey boys and girls. I am looking to find a light beer recipe that is tasty and low on ABV, around 4-4.5%. Thoughts?

This is the wrong forum for this kind of conversation. This is the recipe archive for things you have already made and wish to share with forum members.

This is the wrong forum for this kind of conversation. This is the recipe archive for things you have already made and wish to share with forum members.

Yes, thanks @kevin58 Moved this from the Recipe Database, which is for tried-and-true recipes, to the Recipe/Ingredients subforum, which is for discussion and questions about recipes and recipe development.

@Iceman6409 here's a recipe I use for a Summer Wheat beer that is light, sessionable and easy to drink. Its American style, not German - clean, not banana/clove/weissen-ish. https://singingboysbrewing.com/summer-wheat-ale

The last Cream Ale I brewed came in at 6.9% ABV...

An Imperial Cream Ale! Was it good?

FWIW, here's the numbers for the Cream Ale style from the BJCP Style Guidelines:

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.042 – 1.055
IBUs: 8 – 20
FG: 1.006 – 1.012
SRM: 2.5 – 5
ABV: 4.2 – 5.6%

Golden ale.

OG 1.042
95% MO extra pale
5% wheat

45IBU

Yeast your choice, but pretty clean US/UK

Hops about 5g/l for flavour and aroma, use some bittering hops if needed to get your IBUs. Can use noble, English, New World depending on what you want.

Back