Looking for a great Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions for a great tried and tested Oktoberfest recipe? The recipe section isn't showing very much under Marzen beers.

I just did 9 gallons of a vienna lager which is pretty close to a marzen. 100% vienna weyermann. combo of hallertau and warrior to bitter and a pinch of hallertau at 10. 25ibus. saflager 34/70.
I prefer my oktoberfests on the maltier side, so id probably sub 20%+- of munich and get the OG in the 1.052-1.055 range. use weyermann or a continental malt. probably go with a nice liquid yeast, german or marzen if you can too.

mine is 2.5 weeks in, first sample yesterday tasted nice, its done fermenting and has been raised to 62 for 2 days. letting it go to 65 for another day or 2 just to make sure no diacetyl. crashing, kegging then letting it sit for 6-8 weeks to lager.

i know that doesnt help a whole lot but hope it gets some ideas marinating in the ol noodle for you.

Anyone have suggestions for a great tried and tested Oktoberfest recipe? The recipe section isn't showing very much under Marzen beers.

Modern fests are light in color, try roughly 60% Vienna and 40% Pilsner malts.

For 5 gallons US:

7 lbs Vienna
3.5 lbs Pilsner
.5 lb CaraHell

Old style fests (my choice) are darker, maybe a bit more ABV, and use lots of dark Munich balanced with some Vienna and Pils.

8 lbs Munich dark (10-12L)
2 lbs Vienna
2 lbs Pilsner

For either use German noble hops for an IBU number in the low-mid 20s. I also like a small middle addition for a touch of flavor/aroma like 1/2 oz @ 20 minutes.

Latest posts

Back