Looking for a good Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster13

Reaction score
I am looking to start my second brew and want to do a hefe weizen kit. Looking for everyones input on styles and where to get a good one.

I've was happy with Austin Homebrew Supply online when I did the kits. Several choices; typically with DME, LME or all-grain options. I like to add a half ounce of bitter orange peel during the last 10 minutes of the boil to give any wheat beer a citrus finish. It tends to lighten it up in the palate too.

And before anyone starts preaching about using your local homebrew supply shop, I must reveal that I'm 2 hours from a shop, so the 'net is my best choice. Otherwise, support your local guy so they don't vanish. Wish I could dash out mid-cook for last minute supplies.

The hefeweizen lovers around here like Midwest's Hank's Hefeweizen A LOT. I've had some, and it's excellent, but my wife and the other ladies in the family really enjoy it. I can testify more to the extract kit, since I've made it a lot more than the AG. I've made it using the Wyeast Weihenstephaner Weizen Yeast #3068 only.

Originally Posted by Doc Robinson
I would go with a Wit...ever had Hoegaarden? This is a very close approximation of a clone of Avery White Rascal...an excellent Belgian Style Wit converted to an extract recipe:

3.75 lb Wheat Liquid Extract
3.50 lb Pale Liquid Extract
1.00 oz Saaz [3.20 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 1.0 min)
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 1.0 min)
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 1.0 min)
1 Pkgs Forbidden Fruit (Wyeast Labs #3463)

Ferment @ 72

I myself have not had a chance to try it out yet, I am in the process of brewing a AHS Blue moon clone, and the paulander clone. I will be moving to this recipe soon though. Its hard to get exact measurements of the LME though, so if you have any questions on it, contact Doc Robinson. He's a good guy and willing to answer questions.

Im sucking down EdWort's Bavarian Hefeweizen right now... and its darn good.
Go to the recipe section! its under wheat, and has the most stars and the most replies and I certainly recommend it!

I am looking to start my second brew and want to do a hefe weizen kit. Looking for everyones input on styles and where to get a good one.

I'm pretty sure you're confusing a few things. What do you mean by you're "Looking for everyones input on styles..." What styles? A "Hefe Weizen" is a "Hefe Weizen". ;)

There are basically 3 types of "wheat beers":

1. A Hefe Weizen is made with wheat and barley malt/LME/DME, German hops and a German HW yeast. :ban:

2. A Wit is made about the same only using orange peels, coriander, and a Belgian Wit yeast.

3. An American Wheat uses any number of American hops and an ale yeast.

But there's only one Hefe Weizen. :mug:

You can check out my proven recipe to the left. just omit the grains if you like.

Where are you in NY?

Blood Orange Heff. from this site. The recipe is under the photo section here. I made it and it is fantastic. I believe it is in the extreme brewing book as well. I know it's not a kit but you could order the ingrediants seperate.

Here's a partial mash I brew:

3.0 lbs. Midwest Wheat Malt
2 lbs. American 2-row
3 lbs. Dry Wheat Extract
.75 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 45 min.
.25 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 15 min.
2 oz. Orange Zest @ 15
2 oz. Chamomile Tea @ 15
Yeast : WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

Here's my Hefe PM:

3# Muntons Wheat DME
1.5# Pilsner Malt
2# Wheat Malt
.25# Vienna Malt

1oz Perle
Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068

Mash at 125 degrees for 15 minutes and bring temp up to 152 degrees for 60 minutes. Boil for 45 minutes.

Blood Orange Heff. from this site. The recipe is under the photo section here. I made it and it is fantastic. I believe it is in the extreme brewing book as well. I know it's not a kit but you could order the ingrediants seperate.

I second this. It's a great beer in my opinion.

Back