Looking for a Foster's recipe and yeast sugggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynachrome

Reaction score
This thread got me thinking: Beer that got you into [brewing] beer

...there should be related threads with titles relating to mine showing up at the bottom of the page.

I was down visiting my friend who runs the local home brew store. I mentioned that I'd like to do a Foster's Lager clone. He said I could borrow his cellar and conical. I'm going to do a large batch, just dive right in.

I'd be interested to hear from any of you who have tried a Foster's clone.

Also, there is a rumor circulating in America that Aussie's don't drink Foster's, that Foster's is an American marketing ploy. Any of you guys from down under have a read on that?

...now I"m going to get my copy of BYO magazine - 250 recipes and look there too.

So sad....

In Australia until the end of the 1970s, Foster's Lager was a reasonably popular bottled and canned beer with a somewhat premium image. Then in the early 1980s there were major changes in the Australian brewing industry, including the merger of Castlemaine (Brisbane), Swan (Perth) and Toohey's (Sydney) into a national brewing group, as a result of acquisitions by Perth entrepreneur Alan Bond. In Queensland the high-volume Power's brewery was established by local entrepreneur Bernie Power.

Bid bidnesss messd' up another one.

I heard somewhere Foster's isn't the biggest selling beer in Australia, like you might think because it is the one that is sold here and has commercials, etc. but that it is made by the same company that makes the most popular Aussie beer, they just thought it would appeal the most to Americans, that;s why they imopoirted it and not the beer more Aussies drink.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/clone-recipe-info-needed-fosters-labatts-molson-46582/

http://www.beertools.com/library/recipe.php?view=604

Bill Wible - Philadelphia
I've made this batch over and over. This *is* Foster's Lager! Don't be afraid to use the table sugar. I know all the books say 'cider - don't don't it.' but its okay in this beer.

Ingredients (All Grain, 5 gal)
5 lbsAmerican 2-row
1.25 lbsAmerican 6-row Pale
1 lbs Dextrine Malt
.5 lbs Crystal Malt 20°L
1.5 lbs White Table Sugar (Sucrose)
.5 oz Pride of Ringwood - 6.8 AA% pellets; boiled 60 min
.5 oz Pride of Ringwood - 6.8 AA% pellets; boiled 30 min
WYeast 2272-PC North American Lager

Style (BJCP)
Category: 1 - Light Lager
Subcategory: C - Premium American Lager
Range for this Style
Original Gravity: 1.049 1.046 - 1.056

Terminal Gravity: 1.012 1.008 - 1.012

Color: 4.5 SRM 2 - 6

Alcohol: 4.8% ABV 4.60% - 6.00%

Bitterness: 27.1 IBU 15.00 - 25.00

....sounds reasonable.

Missing mash temps - 152? ...one hour, with two batch sparges?

Lager temp will be whatever the cellar is at - my understanding is 45F.

I'm from aus and no one really drinks it anymore. I remember my pop drinking it but that's it. Biggest selling beers here are xxxx gold, VB, tooheys new and Carlton draught. All are pretty much light lagers.

A friend of mine and I did a mock-up. It had a large corn adjunct. We algered it for quite a while.

He entered part of it in our local competition and took second in the "Yellow Fizzy" category.

...now on to something more Foster's-like!

:)

Back