Looking for a decent IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazarous

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking to brew up a good ipa this weekend but I just bought bunch of hops from northern brewer (I have cascade chinook warrior and centennial) I want a good and bitter IPA any good recipes or ideas as to proportions of hops and so on?

I'm looking for a good and bitter beer, as to say that I am a bit of a hop head and am really looking to make a very hoppy beer this time but I'm really unsure as to the proportions of hops and so on.

You should really check out some brewing software, it makes calculating hop additions very easy. I use ProMash and threw this together, amounts listed are for a 12g batch:

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Warrior Pellet 17.00 32.4 60 min.

1.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 17.2 30 min.

1.00 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 4.9 15 min.
1.00 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 6.0 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 2.7 15 min.

1.00 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 3.0 5 min.
1.00 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 3.8 5 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 1.7 5 min.

1.00 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min.

Then throw in some more for dry hopping, whatever floats your boat. ProMash has that pegged at just over 70IBUs. Pretty hard to go wrong with those hops, you'll get a tasty IPA for sure.

Hey all, I'm looking to brew up a good ipa this weekend but I just bought bunch of hops from northern brewer (I have cascade chinook warrior and centennial) I want a good and bitter IPA any good recipes or ideas as to proportions of hops and so on?
Lazarous were you going all grain or extract?

In going to doing it all grain, just converted over so this will be my second all grain batch. Whoop whoop haha and yeah I really agree with the software suggestion that is on my list of things that I want to get for my brewery in the near future, while your on that topic what software do you all think is best? I was thinking about getting beersmith? Is that a good one? Or should I go a different rout?

The two most used are Beersmith and Promash. I use beersmith and it's simple and fantastic. However, lots of people use Promash with the same input. It's really up to you, you can't go wrong with either.

Back