Looking for a clone recipe of Grimbergen Rouge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hercher

Reaction score
Is anybody familiar with Grimbergen Rouge? My sister-in-law, who doesn't like beer, had one in Belgium, and loves it. Now she wants me to make it, but I don't even know where to find it here in NEPA.

they have a bit of info on their website, should give you a starting point.

Rouge Savour legendary intensity

As beer was one of the main medieval drinks and brewed the whole year round, the Grimbergen Fathers liked to experiment.

They used red fruit from their surroundings, creating their famous Grimbergen Rouge: a well-balanced beer, brewed in the tradition of Belgian fruity beers, that unites complex red fruit and strawberry aromas with flavours of clove and a hint of spiciness. The bittersweet fruity taste, the rich, dense and pink foam, the ruby colour and the intense fragrances make it a refreshing masterpiece.

Alcohol by Volume 6%
Bottle sizes 25cl, 33cl
Aromas Ripe strawberries and a hint of clove
Ingredients Water, barley malt, glucose syrup, wheat malt, sucrose syrup, natural flavouring, carrot concentrate, barley malt extract, acidity agent: citric acid, hop extract
Colour Ruby with a creamy pink foam
Bitterness 13

I saw that. Her server said that the beer had berries and red fruit in it. I'm also curious as to what yeast I should use. I can approximate the color, and put some strawberries and cranberries in it (I don't even know where to get carrot extract!), but I feel like I'm operating blindly.

i'd probably start with a basic "dubbel" recipe, mash high, ferment it with the chimay strain, add fruit (strawberry, raspberry, cherries, blackberries?) to secondary, and see how that turns out.

J.

Back