Looking for a cheap .1g resolution weight scale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A while ago I bought this (small) 0.01-100 gram scale, a "SKYROKU" Pocket Portable Scale for like $12. It comes with a 100 gram calibration weight and tweezers.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWTAJ66/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's been working wonderfully, is consistent with readouts, and holds calibration. Excellent for measuring brewing salts and such.
I also use it for diluting my stock 85% Phosphoric Acid down to 10 or 20%.

I use a regular flat, glass top Escali Arti 15 pound kitchen scale* for all my grain and hops, and pretty much everything else, except the puppy now, since he has grown larger than 13 pounds.
There's no need to weigh hops in less than 1 gram increments/precision.
For grain I place a 1-1.5" low profile, round plastic takeout container between the scale and my weighing bucket, so it doesn't obscure the readout. Works like a charm.

* I bought that Arti scale a few years ago for $22 on Groupon, shipped. What is that with Amazon listing these now for 30, 40, 50, 60 bucks and up? Entering Sucker Territory... :tank:

A while ago I bought this (small) 0.01-100 gram scale, a "SKYROKU" Pocket Portable Scale for like $12. It comes with a 100 gram calibration weight and tweezers.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWTAJ66/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's been working wonderfully, is consistent with readouts, and holds calibration. Excellent for measuring brewing salts and such.
I also use it for diluting my stock 85% Phosphoric Acid down to 10 or 20%.

I use a regular flat, glass top Escali Arti 15 pound kitchen scale* for all my grain and hops, and pretty much everything else, except the puppy now, since he has grown larger than 13 pounds.
There's no need to weigh hops in less than 1 gram increments/precision.
For grain I place a 1-1.5" low profile, round plastic takeout container between the scale and my weighing bucket, so it doesn't obscure the readout. Works like a charm.

* I bought that scale a few years ago for $22 on Groupon, shipped. What is that with Amazon listing these now for 30, 40, 50, 60 bucks and up? Entering Sucker Territory... :tank:
That SKYROKU scale looks exactly like the same AWS one I ordered. Is the SKYROKU a knock off of the AWS? Or does the manufacturer of that scale model make them for different companies?

That SKYROKU scale looks exactly like the same AWS one I ordered. Is the SKYROKU a knock off of the AWS? Or does the manufacturer of that scale model make them for different companies?
As with many products coming from China they are either parallel manufacture, rebranded, or knock-offs.

Definitely test it out thoroughly when you receive it. They are still delicate instruments that were mass produced (with a larger or smaller tolerance) and shipped halfway across the world before the postal service bounced them around. It's perhaps a small miracle they work so well at all.

I was happily surprised by how well that little scale works. Beats using the analytical balance in ease of use for those routine measurements, that are fine within 0.1 gram precision. The extra decimal comes in handy, though.

As with many products coming from China they are either parallel manufacture, rebranded, or knock-offs.

Definitely test it out thoroughly when you receive it. They are still delicate instruments that were mass produced (with a larger or smaller tolerance) and shipped halfway across the world before the postal service bounced them around. It's perhaps a small miracle they work so well at all.

I was happily surprised by how well that little scale works. Beats using the analytical balance in ease of use for those routine measurements, that are fine within 0.1 gram precision. The extra decimal comes in handy, though.
I can't wait to play with it tomorrow. This is the one I got:

American Weigh Scales 100G X 0.01G Digital Scale, With Seaside 100 G Stainless Steel Calibration Weight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XWEAGRS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I think it's consistent enough. People have been cooking and measuring ingredients that way for a long time. I agree weighing would be more precise but only if your instrument is 100% accurate. I don't care to spend the time or money ensuring it is, so I just use teaspoons for the tiny salt measurements and my cheap scale for grains/hops. To each their own, for those that have their processes that tight and dialed in that it matters measuring the salts so precisely I raise a glass to you.
The important thing is that it stays granular. If it compacts and clumps, there can be a massive variation (ha) in how much fits in a spoon. Fluffy powders are even worse (impossible to measure by volume even when new and dry), but I haven't encountered any in the homebrewing arena.

I got the scale in the mail. Played around with it using table salt and I am happy with it. Now I can't wait until I brew the next batch!

Back