Looking for a butterfly valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you mean non triclover?

There are buttweld and DIN thread style butterfly valves.

Or are you looking for ones with NPT threads? I don't think they make them as that would defeat the purpose of using a butterfly valve.

I'd like to attach to my mash tun where my ball valve currently is.

Sent from my iPhone using Hoet Brew

Any particular reason why? Perhaps there's a better answer out there for what you are trying to do that may be far easier to find?

I would like to have a consistent flow rate between my mash tun and brew kettle when sparging. The multiple opening settings on the diaphragm valve seems like it would help.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I would like to have a consistent flow rate between my mash tun and brew kettle when sparging. The multiple opening settings on the diaphragm valve seems like it would help.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404673949.060170.jpg

You can get a Tri Clamp to NPT fitting from Brewer's Hardware. They also have Butterfly valves. Sanitation is not the issue if your Mash Tun is already NPT. The Butterfly valve will be easier to clean but I would still disassemble all NPT fittings between brews.:mug:

So my only real choice is the tri clove it sounds like. Ok. Tks for your help!

I'm new to tri clover fittings so does this look right? I'm assuming the gaskets are built into the fittings?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404676637.613358.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404676649.743577.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404676658.146580.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404676664.965645.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404676672.467092.jpg

A diaphragm valve is something different from a butterfly valve. A diaphragm valve is an excellent choice for precise regulation of flow rate, whereas a butterfly valve is a poor choice...I believe they are designed for all or nothing flow and I'm not sure the multi position handles really control the flow all that well. Ball valves are probably equal if not better in that regard.

http://www.gwkent.com/sanitary-diaphragm-valve-316-l.html

Maybe a globe valve would work too, that they do make with NPT threads.

I'd recommend a rotameter with a ball valve to control flow. A 1" butterfly valve at the flowrates most of us use is unlikely to be good at what you're looking for.

P.D.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd recommend a rotameter with a ball valve to control flow. A 1" butterfly valve at the flowrates most of us use is unlikely to be good at what you're looking for.

P.D.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Where would you get one of these? That was my first choice but couldn't find anything that would work.

Head over to McMaster Carr and search for part number 4400K63. I've had it on my RIMS system for about 3 years.

p.d.

That's perfect. Could I impose on you for a pic of how you mounted yours or can you point me somewhere that will have one? I have no idea how these work and I've been looking for a pic or video to show me forever.

Tks

That's perfect. Could I impose on you for a pic of how you mounted yours or can you point me somewhere that will have one? I have no idea how these work and I've been looking for a pic or video to show me forever.

Tks

I'd snap a photo, but I just dismantled everything to move it to a different part of my basement. Operation is pretty straightforward though. There's a float that moves up/down inside the tube. The higher the flow, the higher the float moves up. There's gradations on the tube to tell you the flow rate based on the location of the float. The only requirement is that it be oriented vertically. I have the brewers hardware RIMS tube, and just mount it directly on the outlet pointing straight up.

One thing to note is that it kind of acts like a check valve, flow in the reverse direction isn't possible.

Hopefully that helps.

p.d.

I'd snap a photo, but I just dismantled everything to move it to a different part of my basement. Operation is pretty straightforward though. There's a float that moves up/down inside the tube. The higher the flow, the higher the float moves up. There's gradations on the tube to tell you the flow rate based on the location of the float. The only requirement is that it be oriented vertically. I have the brewers hardware RIMS tube, and just mount it directly on the outlet pointing straight up.

One thing to note is that it kind of acts like a check valve, flow in the reverse direction isn't possible.

Hopefully that helps.

p.d.

It does. Thanks!!

This thread is a little old but I came across it looking to use the same rotameter (looks like i should have been in the rotameter business - margin on these has to be enormous).

Does it completely block reverse flow or just slow it down? My current system will drain almost completely via gravity and I want to maintain the drainability of my system if I add this device.

Why the aversion to tri-clover? Butterfly valves typically don't come in NPT, but I do see a low cost PVC threaded butterfly valve here. Butterfly valves, due to their slim design typically use flanged connections - either wafer or lugged (see illustrations). OakBarn has suggested Tri-clamp to NPT fittings, which would be the best solution for your request, however they make a good point of having to disassemble for cleaning due to the sanitary requirements.

A 2-way ball valve would be able to perform the same function, and they are commonly available with NPT threads. The precision of control will suffer, but if you just need to match a flow rate once, you could then mark the handle position of the proper flow to be able to repeat it in the future. There are also "flow control ball valves" that have a characterized (specially shaped) port through the ball or seat. These can get expensive, but they give the valve a much better gradual increase than a full port ball valve.

Again, I'm not sure why you don't want to use tri-clover, but if it is just because the tank connection is NPT, then the adapter fitting would probably be your best solution.

Back