looking for a AG clone of Magic Hat Encore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yabo72

Reaction score
Any suggestions on a AG clone recipe of Magic Hat's Encore. I tried it last night and was pretty impressed. It is sort of a wheat IPA with a great hop aroma. Magic Hat's website gave the basic kind of hops, I think it was Simcoe and Hallertau and the grains but no amounts or percentages. I'm not sure about the yeast either if an IPA or wheat style yeast is best.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Here is what the info Magic Hat gives:

TYPE: India Pale Ale
YEAST: English Ale
HOPS: Simcoe, Amarillo
MALTS: Pale, Malted Wheat, Cara Vienna
ABV: 6.0
GRAVITY: 14.50 Plato
BITTERNESS: 45
SRM: 7.0
---------------------
I'd go with something like:

6 lbs Pale
5 lbs Wheat Malt
.5 lbs CaraVienna
Mash at 151 for 60 min (a bit of gypsum in the water wouldn't hurt if you water is short on sulfate)

90 min boil
.75 oz Simcoe (Whole 14% AA) at 60 min
2 oz each Simcoe/Amarillo at 0
1 oz each Simcoe/Amarillo dry hop

OG 1.059

IIRC Magic Hat has a house English strain, some quick research says Ringwood.

I did something similar last summer, although I used a Hefeweizen yeast and Cascade instead of Simcoe: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/07/hoppy-german-american-wheat-recipe.html

Im sorry what do you mean by collect more wort? And just to clarify, you boil for 30 min before adding any hops to let the hot break happen? I thought the polyphenols from the hops where what made the hot break happen? Thanks.

Since you are boiling longer you evaporate more water, so you can use more sparge water and get better efficiency (although the saving probably aren't enough to justify the extra time/propane).

Nope, you get a hot break with or without adding hops. If you add hops before the hot break you tend to get protein globbed onto the hops.

Longer boils also give insurance against DMS (although not a big deal if you aren't using pilsener malt).

You can make great boils with shorter boils (heck I don't boil my Berliner and that is the only beer I ever gets golds with), but in general it is the "best" practice.

What kind of impact would it make on the final product if I substituted the 60 minute addition of Simcoe with some other hop (Magnum, Nugget, Cascade, etc.)?

Just checked Magic Hat's site and they list Apollo as one of the hops. I guess they are using it to bitter with. I found that Columbus and Magnum are listed as substitutes. I just ordered some Columbus so I think I'll save my Simcoe for the later additions. This will be my first BIAB AG. I'll post back to this thread when complete.

Hog,
Apparently no one has made this. It is on my list. So I'll be able to comment on it at some point.

I think I'll try something similar this month. Here's what I've come up with starting with the grain bill posted earlier in this thread and adjusting using the info on Magic Hat's website.

I shoot for 6 gallons going into the fermenter.

7# 2 row
6# wheat (might split this & the 2 row evenly at 6.5#)
.75# Caravienna

14g Apollo 60m
14g each Amarillo & Simcoe 15m
14g each Amarillo & Simcoe Flameout
28g each Amarillo & Simcoe Dry hop

yeast US-05 (the website says Cali Ale yeast)
mash @ 151 for 60 min
60 min boil

This puts me at 1.060 OG, 49 IBUs, & 6.3% ABV according to BrewPal. These are pretty close to the numbers given on the website. I'm not a big stickler on these clones so I don't worry too much about hitting the numbers exactly. As long as I'm close, I'm happy.

Reviving this one. I've got my grains crushed and my hops weighed. I'll be brewing this tomorrow, using the recipe I wrote above. I decided to split the 2-row & wheat evenly. I'll post updates as this progresses.

This one is being dry hopped right now. The samples I've had have been decent but not quite what I was hoping for. I think it will be an enjoyable beverage but not as hoppy as I wanted. Next time I'm planning to back off the Apollo just a bit and add more late hops at both 10 & 5.

Anyway, planning to bottle tomorrow, I'll update again once we are carbonated & ready to drink.

I had my first fully carbonated one of these a few days ago. I think the color is very close if not right on. Unfortunately, I can't find Encore anywhere this summer so I have nothing to compare. The hops need some tweaking. The Simcoe is a little overwhelming and I'm not getting much of the Amarillo. I would recommend backing off the Simcoe additions a bit and making up for it with Amarillo. Bitterness level is fine so I think the Apollo addition is good where it's at. This beer has been in the bottle for a month, so I'm going to guess that some of the Simcoe flavor will mellow.

All in all, this beer is enjoyable but I don't think I quite hit the clone mark.

I've made it. My wife did a side-by-side blind taste test. She apologized and said that she preferred "this one." I said, "that's alright, that's the one I made."

Encore is not what it used to be. They use Cascade now and it is not as good as it once was.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did a partial mash. 5.5 lb wheat malt and .5 lb Cara Vienna 20l malt mashed @ 150-155 for 1 hour. I added 3.4 lbs of light DME. I BOILED 2 oz of Cascade 5.4% AA as a substitute for the Apollo. Oh was 1.060 Fg was 1.016. I dry hopped per the recipe here.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back