Looking at getting a keg system. Would appreciate some thoughts on it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randzor

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking to get into simple keging operation and was wounding if people found it worth the initial investment.

Depends were you are. Here in the UK I've found it difficult to get into: few people have them, few places sell them, there are not many shops, etc. If you have the chance to see a setup that someone else has and they talk you through what it involves and were you get each bit that would be very useful. Not sure what it's like there but here you can't get CO2 shipped so you have to do some searching local searching if you want to use more than 16g mini canisters.

When I first started kegging, I went all out and got a brand new CO2 cylinder. If I had it to do over again, I would just buy a used one (or two) pre-filled at the gas supplier, that you just exchange when they're empty. There is no need to pay top dollar for your own tank. When you go to get it refilled, they may not be able to do it right then, and you'll have to come back. Also, tanks need to be tested every few years and you pay for that if it's your tank.

Yes, MUCH better then bottling. I got all used kegs, #5 Co2 bottle, regulator and quick disconnects for my introduction to kegging. LOVE it and have 7 kegs now and two gas bottles. A keezer and a kegerator/fermenter.

I started with kegging never bottled a single batch of the first 20 or so. Recently started to bottle so I can have more variety on hand and brew smaller batches. I now do both, but I'd say in terms of quantity of beer way more kegging. In terms of sessions, I bottle more as when I do it's only 10 or so bottles at a time.

No, you cannot ship CO2 canisters with CO2 in them. You have to get an empty tank and either have it filled or trade it in on a full one.

Hey guys, looking to get into simple keging operation and was wounding if people found it worth the initial investment.

I started kegging with one keg and a diy jockey box for serving more than 20 years ago and now have a 4 tap keezer and 9 kegs. I still have and use the jockey box as well. My $.02: Go for it.

Yes I definitely think kegging is worth the investment. I converted a fridge into a kegerator and always have 2 things on tap, usually 1 homebrew and 1 store bought and I love it. I have never kegged my cider but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the ph of cider can be an issue with low-end plated faucets and parts. Might want to use all stainless if you are kegging cider.

I was skeptical to keg at first because it just looked confusing to me no matter how many videos I watched on youtube. But I broke down after a bad day of bottling and never looked back. It is the best investment I made. I only have a small fridge with a 5 gal. keg & picnic tap for now due to space, but it works and I always have a beer on tap which is nice. I bottle straight from my keg with the picnic tap and bottling wand so I can keep bottles from each batch for competitions and what not. Do it! Lots of great people here who will be more than happy to assist you along the way.

Soooo worth it, I have been kegging for about a month or 2 and I love it!

Bottling used to take 2-3 hours including clean up, I can keg a batch in 30 minutes, I never realized how much I disliked bottling until I started kegging.

I bottle primed for several years then started kegging last year. But ironically I still prime and naturally condition in the keg then bottle from the keg. Most of my cider is consumed on holidays, at picnics & vacation or given away so bottling just makes sense.

Back