Looking at buying UniBrau (BrauSupply) - Pump Hook Up Question for users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveCS

Reaction score
Hi all,

I normally don't post a lot but have been reading and I can't seem to quite figure out why the Unibrau system's pump is hooked up directly to the unit (kettle/mash tun) itself.

I am currently a BIAB brewer (standard Mash / Kettle - 10 G SS Brewtech pot) and I have a good Chugger X-Dry pump already. I've been eyeing the UniBrau since it seems to tick all the boxes but I don't need the pump or chiller. That being said, is there a reason why the pump is hooked up directly and not via hosing? I've sent an email to BrauSupply but have yet to hear back from them and hoping that a UniBrau user would have an answer to this for me.

Outside of that query I don't see much else to be concerned about with the UniBrau per se but if the pump MUST be hooked up direct to the mash/kettle then I would likely just opt for the whole unit but if I can save a buck here or there with equipment I already have/own then it would be great!

Any input that folks can provide is greatly welcomed!

Thanks,
Dave

It doesn't have to be hooked up directly, you can use hose from the pickup outlet to a pump that's lower down.
On my Unibrau I do have the pump directly attached since that layout works for my setup.

^^^What they said. I also have a Unibrau with the pump directly connected to the kettle. Works well this way because the pumps are not self-priming and it reduces the amount of hoses etc. It is not, however, a necessity of the system.

The pump hooked up straight to the kettle works great for me! Still trying to figure out the best place for my thermometer since I have the 2 element system..

The pump hooked up straight to the kettle works great for me! Still trying to figure out the best place for my thermometer since I have the 2 element system..

The only place I see to put the sensor is using a t-fitting on the pump output. You can see some pictures of that setup on brausupply web site.

The only place I see to put the sensor is using a t-fitting on the pump output. You can see some pictures of that setup on brausupply web site.
That's where I have it so far, but would before the pump work better than after? Need to run some tests

Back