Look at my mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callback79

Reaction score
Since there's no section on this forum named "Look at my mistake", I'll post that here.

Don't know how it is named, but the rubber part on top of my carboy has fallen to the bottom of my secondary. (You can laugh at me). This rubber piece was still wet with Starsan solution and I just learn the hard way that Starsan makes thing very slippery. I pushed that piece of rubber with the same force than when I press it normally (without Starsan) to fit in the carboy.

Question is: Can it be bad for the beer if I leave it in for...maybe 10-12 days ? I don't have any idea how to get it out without shaking/racking the beer to a clean bucket.

I join the picture just to be very ashamed of what I've done and remember to be gentle with this thing in the future.

Thanks.

DSCF8904.jpg

It happens all the time!

but don't tell people that you lost your bung through your bunghole. They just won't understand. :D

Next time, use a clean paper towel to dry the inside neck of the carboy, and the bung. Or let it airdry before using. That star-san is slippery! If you need tips on how to get it out afterwards that doesn't involve a coat hanger or needle nose pliers, let me know and I'll tell you the secret!

It happens all the time!

but don't tell people that you lost your bung through your bunghole. They just won't understand. :D

Next time, use a clean paper towel to dry the inside neck of the carboy, and the bung. Or let it airdry before using. That star-san is slippery! If you need tips on how to get it out afterwards that doesn't involve a coat hanger or needle nose pliers, let me know and I'll tell you the secret!

Bung ! Haha ok, as you can see my english is very bad.

Humm...is the secret related to a plastic bag ?

But my concern is, is it bad for the beer ? Should I find a way to remove it right now ?

It happens all the time!

Hah!! Good one, Yoop!

Bung ! Haha ok, as you can see my english is very bad.

Humm...is the secret related to a plastic bag ?

But my concern is, is it bad for the beer ? Should I find a way to remove it right now ?

Your English is not bad at all- and it's much better than my French! And yes, the plastic bag trick will work for removing the bung.

I've done it myself, and you've got no reason to worry, as was mentioned. The bung (you can call it a "stopper" as to not sound so profane) was sanitized, so it'll be ok.

Back